T
ThermoQuad Offline OP
top fuel
ThermoQuad  Offline OP
top fuel
T

Answering the call of the wild
My FBO tale of woe control box...

I have been chasing drivabilty gremlins with a 360 Thermoquad built like a 1968 340.

It started with a late model 1990's Mopar orange control box that was a POS. The FBO box solved most of the problems but created another.

Whether or not there is a defect in this particular box it does not matter anymore as quality should have gone in before the name goes on. I have new expensive paper weight.

After being on -car running- for a while i noticed the coil getting HOT! as well as the control box. I put a digital volt meter on the car 13.8 v running, 9 volts at the coil etc. All checked out. Suspecting possibly a bad coil I replaced it with a known good coil. There are tons of grounds that all were checked as well with the meter set on 0.0 ohms resolution. Yes...I have the correct ballast resistor etc etc etc

I am not only person I know with the FBO box and similar problems.
I don not know why the box overheats the coil but it does and I don't care as my days as an FBO customer are over. Don might be a nice guy but the product does not perform as advertised.
I speculate that this box may be just like the "gold" mopar box that is not designed for extended use but for short runs.

I installed a vintage 1980's mopar chrome box and all is well hot or cold.

And one more thing the I had 2 FBO canister coils leak oil after a summer of use.

My thanks to FBO

Re: FBO tale of woe control box [Re: ThermoQuad] #1218589
04/19/12 08:07 AM
04/19/12 08:07 AM
Indiana
Y
YO7_A66 Offline
master
YO7_A66  Offline
master
Y

Indiana
Tom,
Are you running the first generation FBO control box (The one that was designed for the use of a ballast), or are you using the second generation box that is designed for full 12v (no ballast), or are you using the newest box with the rev limiter?

1970 YO7 A66 [Canadian Export] F8 Challenger
340 (Currently in shop for stroker assy.)