Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
C
CUDAJAS Offline OP
top fuel
CUDAJAS  Offline OP
top fuel
C

Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Today while my wife and I were out we had two tire pressure sensors on her 2008 Ram fail.

After leaving an appointment, and about to get back on the highway, the TPS light went on indicating low tire pressure. We stopped to get gas and check the tires. I checked all four and found one that was 10psi low.

She backs up to the air pump, I go to air up the tire and the valve stem (TPS) almost dissapeared into the tire. The TPS was at the top on the wheel at this point, I roll the truck forward for a better look. The nut that holds the valve stem / tps into the wheel is gone...it was there when I checked the pressure a moment ago!!!

I tell my wife we are going to have to put on the spare to get home (an hour away).

In a stroke of brillance I check the other wheels, one of the nuts crumbles into multiple peices in my hands, and a third has a vissable crack in it. Uhhh dear...we need to get a tow!!

So a tow to the dealer (CAA) and 300 bucks later I have three new TPS. Truck is out of warranty. The fourth TPS was in good shape as it was replaced over the winter on an unrelated issue.

SO NOW THE TIP, my wife's cousin is a service rep at Chrysler, he told me to phone the service rep and tell them the issue and ask that I be reimbursed, as it was obviously not a new issue and they are monitoring this particular issue wth later 08 rams. Seems the aluminum TPS is corroding when attached to the steel wheels???? The new TPS are made of rubber. I am still waitign to hear back.

So anyone with an 08 ram may want to have a good look at the TPSs!

Sorry for the long post!

Re: 2008 Ram TPS warning / tip [Re: CUDAJAS] #1218133
04/18/12 09:36 AM
04/18/12 09:36 AM
Catskill, NY
T
teflon Offline
enthusiast
teflon  Offline
enthusiast
T

Catskill, NY
Good luck, hope they take care of you. Those things are a nightmare when they get corroded, see it all the time in upstate NY. I guess thats why they went to rubber stems.