Print Thread
Heater Box Issue #1211053
04/06/12 05:33 PM
04/06/12 05:33 PM
Pennsylvania
73bluebird Offline OP
73bluebird  Offline OP

Pennsylvania
I'm currently working on restoring a 1973 Plymouth Road Runner. The car originally had A/C, but my plans were to remove the A/C components and just put a plain heater box in instead. Looking at the plain heater box for the 71-74 B-body cars it seems as though the blower motor and heater lines go through the firewall differently than on the A/C equipped boxes. I have already installed a supercharger on my engine and there really isn't any room, nor do I have the desire to reinstall the A/C compressor and other components under the hood. What options do I have to get a functional heater in my car and maintain as close to a factory appearance as possible? Is it possible to rebuild an A/C box in a way that the A/C condensor is removed and just the heater components are functional? This is my first restoration project, so I need all the help and suggestions I can get. Thanks!

Re: Heater Box Issue [Re: 73bluebird] #1211054
04/06/12 05:52 PM
04/06/12 05:52 PM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

they are two seperate pieces.
you can pull out the a/c part and just bolt it back together.
as I recall the lines kind of hold it in place in the box as well.
you will still have 2 holes in the fire wall for the a/c lines though.

can you not just leave it in and cap the lines? or were you going to patch the holes anyway?

Re: Heater Box Issue [Re: Andrewh] #1211055
04/06/12 06:37 PM
04/06/12 06:37 PM
Pennsylvania
73bluebird Offline OP
73bluebird  Offline OP

Pennsylvania
I know that I can get the gasket kit and a new heater core for my A/C box, I was just concerned about the functionality of the unit without the A/C parts. Would there be any vacuum lines or other parts of the heating systmen that are dependent on the A/C components that would prevent the heater/defroster functions to work properly? As for where the A/C lines go through the firewall, I was hoping to try and patch the area or at least put a smooth patch panel over top to give as smooth a look as possible. I really don't want to just cap the old A/C lines in their current location because I think that would make them look even more out of place.

Re: Heater Box Issue [Re: 73bluebird] #1211056
04/06/12 07:02 PM
04/06/12 07:02 PM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

well, the a/c system is pretty self contained.

the control panel vacuum does not go to any a/c parts directly.
you would have one electrical connection to the hi/lo switch then to the compressor that would go no where.

the vacuum pots are on the box so that would stay the same.

best guess, no, nothing would be affected by removing the evaporator out of the box.