Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
On my 68 Dart running 73 A-body disc rotors and drag skinnys it was a nightmare driveing in the rain. It had sheilds on it.

The rotors were exposed to the airstream to aid cooling,I cut and added a piece of exhast tube to the lower center of the sheild, 3" long with 45* slash cut to direct air to the rotor for more cooling.

It looked cool from the front cause you could see the tire/rotor/sheild,but water/rain was the problem when driveing.

When running the cop rims it never had that problem in the rain and they never had any brake fade or overheating. I even upgraded to the 11.75" brakes with 11x2.5 on the rear.That made for killer stoping power but not in the rain.

IMO. I would keep them and add the cooling duct if over heating is a problem with a stock width rim. Running drag skinnys I would avoid driveing in the rain as much as I could.

Re: Are brake shields important? [Re: BigBlockMopar] #1204260
03/28/12 11:40 AM
03/28/12 11:40 AM
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
D
DPelletier Offline
I Live Here
DPelletier  Offline
I Live Here
D

Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Quote:

Quote:

... none of my motorcycles have them....

Dave

But motorcycles can't experience a sudden brake-difference between the left and right front tires if water just lands on one of the rotors.
There's also no tire 'on the otherside' which can splash water onto the opposite brake-rotor.

On the other hand, these 'dustshields' also have open slots near the center where they mount. It wouldn't surprise me if such a shield is there to aid in brake-rotor cooling somewhat by directing airflow onto/around the rotor better.
Although that leaves to wonder why a shield is only just on 1 side of the rotor and not both.

Again, there are lots of people driving without them and they aren't having any big problems. The tires are a fair ways apart and at speed, I don't believe you are getting water from one tire over to the other. As far as airflow; no, I'm positive that the brakes would be cooler without.

I'm sure the shields do something, just not much! I can see the heat from the rotor vs. balljoint issue and the shield would help a bit with water and road grime....enough to put them on if you've got them (or want your car to look stock like I do), but they are far from necessary IMO.

Dave

1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack 1974 'Cuda 2008 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Ram 3500 Diesel 2004.5 Ram 2500 Diesel 2003 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Durango Limited [url] http://1970superbee.piczo.com [/url]
Re: Are brake shields important? [Re: Coronet-R/T-Rag] #1204261
03/28/12 12:16 PM
03/28/12 12:16 PM
SoCal
68HemiB Offline
master
68HemiB  Offline
master

SoCal
Maybe it's about debris on the rotors, and maybe it's rotor heat on nearby components, and maybe it's about debris getting to the inner wheel bearing.

And maybe the debris in question is small or maybe it's large.
Maybe the debris is fluid or solid.
Maybe the fluid is water, or maybe the fluid is something petroleum-based that can contaminate the pads.

Automotive engineers put shields on these and the vast majority of other disc brake equipped cars for some or all of the reasons speculated on here and for other reasons overlooked.

But by all means, feel free to discard an integral part of your car's BRAKE SYSTEM based on the statistically insignificant anecdotal stories of a few keyboard jockeys who did so and didn't instantly die as a result.

Down to just a blue car now.
Re: Are brake shields important? [Re: Coronet-R/T-Rag] #1204262
03/28/12 12:52 PM
03/28/12 12:52 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

The shields I have are from a 74 coronet. Will I have interference problems?

Flat design is early & needs to be trimmed
Ribbed design is late & can be run as is...

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Re: Are brake shields important? [Re: 68HemiB] #1204263
03/28/12 01:15 PM
03/28/12 01:15 PM
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
D
DPelletier Offline
I Live Here
DPelletier  Offline
I Live Here
D

Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Quote:

Maybe it's about debris on the rotors, and maybe it's rotor heat on nearby components, and maybe it's about debris getting to the inner wheel bearing.

And maybe the debris in question is small or maybe it's large.
Maybe the debris is fluid or solid.
Maybe the fluid is water, or maybe the fluid is something petroleum-based that can contaminate the pads.

Automotive engineers put shields on these and the vast majority of other disc brake equipped cars for some or all of the reasons speculated on here and for other reasons overlooked.

But by all means, feel free to discard an integral part of your car's BRAKE SYSTEM based on the statistically insignificant anecdotal stories of a few keyboard jockeys who did so and didn't instantly die as a result.

...I think maybe it's about common sense...which seems to be in short supply these days You must live life pretty carefully if removing disk brake "dust shields" keeps you up at night!

I ride and race motorcycles (you know, those motorized vehicles without crumple zones and air bags) both on and off road and have been doing so for over 30 years. These bikes have been exposed to the same roads as cars (gasp!) and so logic would suggest that their brake systems have been exposed to all the same potential contaminants....and I'm still here!

I routinely do 1000 things more dangerous than driving a car without dust shields that, but to each their own I guess. Do you wear a tinfoil hat too and stand 10' away from your microwave when it's on?

Dave

1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack 1974 'Cuda 2008 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Ram 3500 Diesel 2004.5 Ram 2500 Diesel 2003 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Durango Limited [url] http://1970superbee.piczo.com [/url]
Re: Are brake shields important? [Re: DPelletier] #1204264
03/28/12 02:03 PM
03/28/12 02:03 PM
SoCal
68HemiB Offline
master
68HemiB  Offline
master

SoCal
Actually Dave, I don't lie awake at night, worrying about the integrity of my dust shields, nor do I look to the kitchen drawer for potential headgear.

My post wasn't about common sense, about comparative risk, or about the brake configuration on dissimilar equipment with a different number of wheels and significantly less mass.

The O.P. asked about running without dust shields on his car. My post was an observation that he could make his decision siding with those who engineered the vehicles in the first place, or siding with those with anecdotes and personal opinion.

You don't think they're important. I get it.

The membership here represents a wide variety of life experiences and personal knowledge (or lack thereof). I've never met you, but from reading your posts, I would consider you among those with knowledge. I have no beef with you. I do not seek to have an argument. Carry on.

Down to just a blue car now.
Re: Are brake shields important? [Re: 68HemiB] #1204265
03/28/12 02:09 PM
03/28/12 02:09 PM
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
D
DPelletier Offline
I Live Here
DPelletier  Offline
I Live Here
D

Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Quote:

Actually Dave, I don't lie awake at night, worrying about the integrity of my dust shields, nor do I look to the kitchen drawer for potential headgear.

My post wasn't about common sense, about comparative risk, or about the brake configuration on dissimilar equipment with a different number of wheels and significantly less mass.

The O.P. asked about running without dust shields on his car. My post was an observation that he could make his decision siding with those who engineered the vehicles in the first place, or siding with those with anecdotes and personal opinion.

You don't think they're important. I get it.

The membership here represents a wide variety of life experiences and personal knowledge (or lack thereof). I've never met you, but from reading your posts, I would consider you among those with knowledge. I have no beef with you. I do not seek to have an argument. Carry on.

Sorry, I hadn't had my morning coffee yet!

Yes, bottom line is that I don't think they're all that important and I wouldn't worry about driving a car without them. I've listened to all the reasons for putting them on and nothing I've heard has changed my mind.

My car has them because it came with them from the factory and no other reason.

again sorry for the harsh post,

Dave

Page 2 of 2 1 2