03/18/12 12:39 AM
03/18/12 12:39 AM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho
I have a couple of questions. I put these tires and rims onto my 70 Cuda vert. I have smaller rallyes for it. These will probably actually go into my 63 Polara vert but I want to use cragars with the same size tires, rims on this Cuda.

That said I have an issue. My drivers side tires are hitting the wheel well? However the pass side is fine and the tire seems sit a tad further inside? I have measured both and they are both 26 inches high from the bottom of the wheel well to the ground. Can anyone tell me approximately how yours measures on your Cuda?

#1; Does this seem low and if so, which springs will help me? Regular springs or super stock. I dont want the stink bug look and this springs are old, just dont want to install regular springs only to have them still too low.

#2: If I am using the same size tires and rims and one is fine, is my rear end out of wack? Why is one side fine and the other to close to the rim?

Here are a few pics. Thanks for any advise.

RUMBLON

drivers side/ no room, WHEEL WELL HITTING THE TIRE.

Passenger side. I can get my finger in sideways.

Just a pic to show how the car sits. The springs may need to be replaced. But I am not sure if I get regular springs if they/ it will be high enough for the tires. Maybe Superstock springs? but that may be too higgh?

Re: 70 Cuda rear/ spring/tire issue?- how high is yours? [Re: RUMBLON] #1198741
03/18/12 10:54 AM
03/18/12 10:54 AM
NC, USA
D
davenc Offline
mopar
davenc  Offline
mopar
D

NC, USA
My 70 Cuda measures exactly 26" from the floor to the top of the wheel well opening with 275/60/15 tires. You should describe the size tires and wheel offset that you are trying to use. Remember that these cars where not put together on a precision jig and it is very common to find lack of symmetry between right and left side. Sometimes there is enough play in the spring perches where you can loosen the U-bolts and shift the rear axle a bit to the side with extra clearance.

However, I suspect that even that may not help you. Remember that under spring compression (passengers, bumps) that tire is going up in the wheel well. You may need different backspace on the rims to make it fit right, at least with wide tires. I had initially tried using 15 X 8 with 4.5BS and the 275/60/15 but I could tell that on spring compression the tire sidewall was going to hit the lip of the wheel well. There are many ways to approach this, and if you search the archive you will find a lot of info. I took a somewhat unorthodox approach to solving it and was very happy with the final fit and look. Here is a link to my old post if you are interested.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post6379696

Nice car by the way!