03/12/12 02:13 PM
03/12/12 02:13 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
I just picked up a 64 SAvoy, it has been sitting for about 6 years and has a 318 and pushbutton TF. We drained the fuel out of it, went through the carb, brakes and some other little things and it fired right up. However when we drive the car there is a very big "shudder" in what I think is the transmission. It starts at about 25 and watching the speedo once the shudder subsides the speedo will jump to 45-50 almost instantly, well at least much afaster than we are accelerating. It is there no matter which gear we are in, 1st 2nd or 3rd. If I put the car in nuetral it goes away. So pretty sure it is a trans issue. The engine will rev fine otherwise, but of course there is no load on it then. It is pretty consistent about doing it at the 25mph speed. It shifts fine between gears. Maybe trans slipping? Could a band adjustment cause this? Or maybe something stuck and not working in the trans?

Anyone have any idea where to look? I dont really want to put a ton of cash in these pieces as we have other plans for the car. I am also no TF expert by any means obviously but do know my way around stuff:) I would like to drive it as is for awhile before pulling the original motor and trans and moving on to future plans. So any suggestions or things to check would be a plus for me.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Transmission question/problem [Re: Al_Alguire] #1195720
03/12/12 02:41 PM
03/12/12 02:41 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Man Al did you buy another cool Mopar ? I was thinking about the ball & trunion joint is possible if it only does it on the gas and stops off the gas or even the rear U-joint as most of the time drivetrain joints only vibrate bad when on the gas and you said it does it in all 3 forward gears. The only clutch that is applied in all forward gears is the rear clutch which could be a problem also. And dont forget I believe that trans uses a rear pump in 64. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 03/12/12 02:42 PM.
Re: Transmission question/problem [Re: 383man] #1195721
03/12/12 03:08 PM
03/12/12 03:08 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline OP
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline OP
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Yeah Ron I bought another car. A bodystyle I have been tryong to find for a few years and pretty much had given up. Then one day a couple of weeks ago the guy walks into my shop and asks if I wanted to buy it, and viola it's mine Pretty nice old car, was the preverbial little old man car. the weather here has torn up some stuff, rubber etc but the body is awesome. i will post some info and plans on it soon enough. For now I want to drive it some

I am fairly clueless when it comes to these pushbutton autos. I was thinking driveshaft as well and we are going to pull it out and check it over. No clunking going on though. Just a very large shudder/vibration when under power.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"