03/08/12 07:48 PM
03/08/12 07:48 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline OP
Senior Management
feets  Offline OP
Senior Management

Irving, TX
What is the difference between a Firm Feel box and a regular steering box?
Is it just the required effort?
Can you get a typical rebuilt box and shim the pump pressure valve and accomplish the same thing for less money?

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Firm Feel box vs shimming the PS pump [Re: feets] #1193528
03/08/12 11:13 PM
03/08/12 11:13 PM
moparpollack Offline
Lil Herman
moparpollack  Offline
Lil Herman

Quote:

What is the difference between a Firm Feel box and a regular steering box?
Is it just the required effort?
Can you get a typical rebuilt box and shim the pump pressure valve and accomplish the same thing for less money?

Everyone likes the cost of the shim deal and the FF is expensive because of the shipping cost. Why not try the cheap first?

56 Plaza 63 D100 step side 67 Coronet, 68 Roadrunner, 69 Super Bees, 69 Coronet 500 convertible, 70 Roadrunner Post, 79 D150 360, and a severe case of Mopar a,d,d
Re: Firm Feel box vs shimming the PS pump [Re: moparpollack] #1193529
03/09/12 02:17 AM
03/09/12 02:17 AM
Irving, TX
feets Offline OP
Senior Management
feets  Offline OP
Senior Management

Irving, TX
I never understood the reason to pay for a new box (or additional upgrade) if all they're doing is reducing line pressure.

Is there anything else different in the box?

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Firm Feel box vs shimming the PS pump [Re: feets] #1193530
03/09/12 02:32 AM
03/09/12 02:32 AM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
You can not reduce pressure in the gear box, instead they increase the stiffness of the reaction springs, the reaction springs essentially act as the control valves as the steering wheel is turned it causes one or the other reaction spring to deflect which shifts the spool in the control valve... Full pump pressure is still used...

The shim trick reduces pressure and since pressure & flow are tied to one another the reduced volume causes a reduction in assist... It works but in the hydraulic field it's not considered the right way of reducing assist...

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Re: Firm Feel box vs shimming the PS pump [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #1193531
03/09/12 09:08 AM
03/09/12 09:08 AM
London, England
Gavin Offline
top fuel
Gavin  Offline
top fuel

London, England
The short answer to your question is this (from FF website)
"All FFI Power Steering boxes are thoroughly cleaned and inspected, the cases are machined for roller bearing sector supports and the worm gear assemblies are resized, the box is then fitted with Firm Feel's exclusive reaction springs"

The typical parts store rebuilds don't do the machining, resizing etc. So IMHO the best reason for getting a FF box is actually the first part of that sentence - that you get a properly rebuilt box.
The second bit (the firmness/reaction spring etc) is also something I want, but I'd rather have a stock-effort box that is tight than a sloppy firm box (actually I want both but you get my point)

If you have a box that is in great shape, no slop etc, then do the washer thing and enjoy!

Re: Firm Feel box vs shimming the PS pump [Re: Gavin] #1193532
03/09/12 02:29 PM
03/09/12 02:29 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

The short answer to your question is this (from FF website)
"All FFI Power Steering boxes are thoroughly cleaned and inspected, the cases are machined for roller bearing sector supports and the worm gear assemblies are resized, the box is then fitted with Firm Feel's exclusive reaction springs"

The typical parts store rebuilds don't do the machining, resizing etc. So IMHO the best reason for getting a FF box is actually the first part of that sentence - that you get a properly rebuilt box.
The second bit (the firmness/reaction spring etc) is also something I want, but I'd rather have a stock-effort box that is tight than a sloppy firm box (actually I want both but you get my point)

If you have a box that is in great shape, no slop etc, then do the washer thing and enjoy!

That is a little deceptive... Most boxes already had a roller bearing sector support, the only boxes that don't are early A body boxes...

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Re: Firm Feel box vs shimming the PS pump [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #1193533
03/09/12 03:11 PM
03/09/12 03:11 PM
NC
1970A66 Offline
1970A66  Offline

NC
I agree with Gavin and Wild RT ^^

So........I just installed a FF Stage 2 box in January, because my original was way loose inside. I also just did the shim mod to my Saginaw PS pump 2 weeks ago.

According to Mopar Action magazine and as stated above, if your gear box is good and tight, as well as everything else under the car(though doubtful after 40 years) try the shim mod.

I bought the FF box because of all the positive reviews especially from Mopar Action tech editor Rick Ehrenberg who posts on here. It made a day/night difference in the car handling/feel. Worth the money for sure. Every other steering and suspension part was already new.

Now, I still wanted a better road feel similar to my every day modern car so I did the shim mod. I went from .065 to .105 thick shim/washers. WOW.....another step change for the better!! The steering wheel has a heavier feel, feels very much like my Acura.
I actually may try .125 shim for more feel.

The added shim eliminates the over assist twitchy stock feel.

Last edited by 1970A66; 03/09/12 03:17 PM.
Re: Firm Feel box vs shimming the PS pump [Re: 1970A66] #1193534
03/11/12 07:57 PM
03/11/12 07:57 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Are stiffer springs something we could do ourselves? I emailed FF a while back and they said they don't work on truck boxes...

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Re: Firm Feel box vs shimming the PS pump [Re: hooziewhatsit] #1193535
03/12/12 12:19 AM
03/12/12 12:19 AM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

Are stiffer springs something we could do ourselves? I emailed FF a while back and they said they don't work on truck boxes...

Most trucks have Saginaw boxes... There are plenty of rebuilders that will mod a Saginaw box as they are commonly used in GM products....

As far as someone changing out the reaction springs themselves it can be done but between the seal kit, the special tools & the fact I've done three of them & all three leaked I'll just give firm feel the money...

Re: Firm Feel box vs shimming the PS pump [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #1193536
03/13/12 12:00 AM
03/13/12 12:00 AM
Fort Worth, TX
Clair_Davis Offline
master
Clair_Davis  Offline
master

Fort Worth, TX
I really like the Stage II box in my Valiant, and you can't beat (in my experience) the customer service at Firm Feel. I've had the box in the car for quite a few years now - though not a ton of miles. Having done the rebuilt by Auto Zone box in the past, the improvement over a shot Cop box was a big improvement. Replacing the still-good AZ box with FF was a huge step forward. I'm toying with getting another one for my Sport Fury, but may just swap it out with the one in my Valiant if I decide to go with a manual conversion instead. In my book, it was money well spent.

Clair

Re: Firm Feel box vs shimming the PS pump [Re: Clair_Davis] #1193537
03/13/12 12:23 AM
03/13/12 12:23 AM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
A meaningful difference between the two is the ultimate available power assist. With reduced line pressure, the max available power assist will be less. In everyday driving, no issue. In an extreme or emergency situation, may be a problem. The FF modifications improve feel (or effort) without reducing the max available power assist. Reducing line pressure will reduce max assist.

Re: Firm Feel box vs shimming the PS pump [Re: feets] #1193538
03/13/12 12:36 AM
03/13/12 12:36 AM
So Cal
Sinitro Offline
master
Sinitro  Offline
master

So Cal
One word of caution about dealing with Firm Feel...
I bought a box from them, installed it and it leaked....
When I contacted them about shipping it back, the guy on the phone was very arrogant and had a major attitude problem..
They wanted me to pay the freight for sending the box back while telling me it would take at least a week to check it out and get back to me...
Meantime I had the car torn apart plus the lost time/labor switching out boxes...

Suffice it to say I have never dealt with Firm Feel again..
And I am glad there are other vendors that sell comparable products for our Mopars and care about the customer.

Just my $0.02...

Re: Firm Feel box vs shimming the PS pump [Re: Sinitro] #1193539
03/15/12 01:39 PM
03/15/12 01:39 PM
Houston, Tx
A
AlexP Offline
I Live Here
AlexP  Offline
I Live Here
A

Houston, Tx
Get the Firm Feel Stage 3+ box and you'll love it. Feels like a quick ratio manual rack in a much lighter car

My Build thread: Let the hemi swap begin!

1968 wanna be pro touring whatchamacallit with some fancy stuff and a new roof skin.
Re: Firm Feel box vs shimming the PS pump [Re: AlexP] #1193540
03/18/12 05:53 PM
03/18/12 05:53 PM
Rogue River, OR
Jeremiah Offline
master
Jeremiah  Offline
master

Rogue River, OR
I have a stage II box in our winter car and it does well. While it is a little light for my taste (manual steering preferred) it's a million times better than the stock box in our Coronet 500. The Coronet 500 is so light it would be dangerous for an inexperienced driver of today's vehicle to operate. Give Dick a call, he is a nice guy and will take good care of you. When I talk to him on Monday I'll ask him what the deal is with the fellow that chimes in on every Firm Feel post and get the other side of this story.

Re: Firm Feel box vs shimming the PS pump [Re: Sinitro] #1193541
03/18/12 06:13 PM
03/18/12 06:13 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
Quote:

When I contacted them about shipping it back, the guy on the phone was very arrogant and had a major attitude problem..
They wanted me to pay the freight for sending the box back while telling me it would take at least a week to check it out and get back to me...
Meantime I had the car torn apart plus the lost time/labor switching out boxes...

And I am glad there are other vendors that sell comparable products for our Mopars and care about the customer.

Just my $0.02...

Do you expect them to get you a rental car? No vendor will do that for you and very few will pay to ship it back either or the labor time to swap it. I run a very busy full service auto repair shop and anytime we have a parts failure under warranty I have to pay the labor for the warranty even if it is clearly the vendors fault. I file labor claims all the time and only one time in all my years of service did I get any labor money from the vendor. Also about the shipping, it is not there fault you live a long ways from where you bought the part, why should they have to pay shipping? It is nice when a vendor does that but not required.

I can not argue wheather or not he had a bad atitude, mabey his brother just died or... or mabey he is just mean that sounds like your only good complaint.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Firm Feel box vs shimming the PS pump [Re: Sinitro] #1193542
03/18/12 06:22 PM
03/18/12 06:22 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Secret Chimp Offline
super stock
Secret Chimp  Offline
super stock

Eugene, Oregon
Quote:

Just my $0.02...

You're probably not the first person who had a leak. Leaks are probably far more common due to installation mistakes versus workmanship mistakes, and they've probably been burned in the past from people claiming to have leaky boxes, comping the freight back, only to find the dummy cross-threaded a line fitting or something and lied about it on the phone.

If I was running this business I wouldn't have jumped to take the box back either. Try seeing it from their side.

1967 Dodge Coronet Deluxe station wagon

1.03" T-bars, QA1 arms/rods, Cordoba/GM Metric/Volare brake & knuckle, XHDs, Hellwig rear sway, 318 Magnum w/ air gap, 727, 3.23s
Re: Firm Feel box vs shimming the PS pump [Re: HotRodDave] #1193543
03/18/12 07:01 PM
03/18/12 07:01 PM
So Cal
Sinitro Offline
master
Sinitro  Offline
master

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

Just my $0.02...

Do you expect them to get you a rental car? No vendor will do that for you and very few will pay to ship it back either or the labor time to swap it. I run a very busy full service auto repair shop and anytime we have a parts failure under warranty I have to pay the labor for the warranty even if it is clearly the vendors fault. I file labor claims all the time and only one time in all my years of service did I get any labor money from the vendor. Also about the shipping, it is not there fault you live a long ways from where you bought the part, why should they have to pay shipping? It is nice when a vendor does that but not required.

I can not argue wheather or not he had a bad atitude, mabey his brother just died or... or mabey he is just mean that sounds like your only good complaint.

I expect them to stand behind their products..
Another point is that since I was getting the car ready for a show, I needed the box shipped by 2-day air which was @ a much higher $ rate.

Together with the cost of box and 2-day air charges we spent almost $600 not counting my time, and his BS response was to send it back at my cost which would have been another $100..

Don't think so, today we have other vendor choices and when we bought/installed a competitor's product they actually shipped it next day @ their cost. And it didn't leak..

I will not accept his BS attitude, and if I was located close by his shop, he would have received back the box tossed through his front window..

I didn't expect compensation for my labor but expected they could of at least supplied me a replacement instead of a leaking box and a pile of BS.. I have worked in a customer service envoirment for many years and would never have treated a customer his rude way. There are ways of handling returns without all of the drama..

I just hope others don't have to go through the same.

Just my $0.02..

Re: Firm Feel box vs shimming the PS pump [Re: Sinitro] #1193544
03/19/12 01:06 AM
03/19/12 01:06 AM
Lethbridge, AB, Canada
dangina Offline
pro stock
dangina  Offline
pro stock

Lethbridge, AB, Canada
hmmm never had a single problem ith the firm feel boxes or any products of theirs - Dick is a great guy to deal, was never rude, quite the opposite. A couple times I've BS with him on the phones about current projects or racing. I'll be a happy and loyal customer for a long time

Re: Firm Feel box vs shimming the PS pump [Re: Sinitro] #1193545
03/19/12 04:05 AM
03/19/12 04:05 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Secret Chimp Offline
super stock
Secret Chimp  Offline
super stock

Eugene, Oregon
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just my $0.02...

I expect them to stand behind their products..
Another point is that since I was getting the car ready for a show, I needed the box shipped by 2-day air which was @ a much higher $ rate.

Together with the cost of box and 2-day air charges we spent almost $600 not counting my time, and his BS response was to send it back at my cost which would have been another $100..

Don't think so, today we have other vendor choices and when we bought/installed a competitor's product they actually shipped it next day @ their cost. And it didn't leak..

I will not accept his BS attitude, and if I was located close by his shop, he would have received back the box tossed through his front window..

I didn't expect compensation for my labor but expected they could of at least supplied me a replacement instead of a leaking box and a pile of BS.. I have worked in a customer service envoirment for many years and would never have treated a customer his rude way. There are ways of handling returns without all of the drama..

I just hope others don't have to go through the same.

Just my $0.02..

Who the heck shipped you a custom power steering gearbox via next day air on their dime?

1967 Dodge Coronet Deluxe station wagon

1.03" T-bars, QA1 arms/rods, Cordoba/GM Metric/Volare brake & knuckle, XHDs, Hellwig rear sway, 318 Magnum w/ air gap, 727, 3.23s
Re: Firm Feel box vs shimming the PS pump [Re: Secret Chimp] #1193546
03/19/12 04:15 AM
03/19/12 04:15 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
It seems that with the exception of Dr Diff, EVERY business has a percentage of dissatisfied customers. Some have a higher percentage than others. I have nothing but good things to say about these guys. I have a stage 3 power unit and the fast ratio arms. Great quality and I'll always recommend them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2