Nanaimo, BC
N
NOrrTH Offline OP
super stock
NOrrTH  Offline OP
super stock
N

Nanaimo, BC
Go to a car show and see cars that are supposed to be the same color beside each other and sometimes they can be off a fair bit. The painter may not have got the correct formula or any other number of problems.

So does a slight shade change constitute a color change? What if an F7 looks F8? Is a color change only when you go from red to blue?

Thanks

'71 GTX N96 auto 3:55 '74 Challenger 440+6 4spd 4:10 '71 Duster 340 auto 4:10
Re: Is shade change a color change? [Re: NOrrTH] #1193520
03/08/12 07:39 PM
03/08/12 07:39 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Depends if it was intentional or not I guess. Look at the crap that comes out of some collision repair shops!

Re: Is shade change a color change? [Re: NOrrTH] #1193521
03/08/12 07:42 PM
03/08/12 07:42 PM
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
D
DPelletier Offline
I Live Here
DPelletier  Offline
I Live Here
D

Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Depends how far off it is. Honestly; if you have 10 different F8 cars side by side, you are going to have 10 slight (or in some cases, not-so slight) variations. I wouldn't consider these variations a "color change" per se, but if they are too far off it can be considered a poor color match. B5 to B7 or something like that is a color change albeit slightly less offensive than the typical F4 to FE5 or TX9.

Dave

1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack 1974 'Cuda 2008 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Ram 3500 Diesel 2004.5 Ram 2500 Diesel 2003 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Durango Limited [url] http://1970superbee.piczo.com [/url]
Re: Is shade change a color change? [Re: NOrrTH] #1193522
03/08/12 08:26 PM
03/08/12 08:26 PM
santa anna, Tx.
C
charles6970 Offline
mopar
charles6970  Offline
mopar
C

santa anna, Tx.
it depends on the paint brand and the paint type,
acrylic enamal is a different paint formula and type than base coat.
ppg is a different paint formula than dupont. ect.

you can paint a car in ppg acrylic enamel, and paint a car in ppg base coat clear coat and the two will not be the same shade.

or you can paint a car in dupont paint , and paint another car in ppg paint and they will not be the same shade.

to get the same results you have to do everything exactly the same,
same temperature, same reducer types, same paint gun settings, ect.

as said, you cannot learn paint and body work from a book or some community college class.

It takes time and lot's of practice.

Re: Is shade change a color change? [Re: charles6970] #1193523
03/08/12 08:45 PM
03/08/12 08:45 PM
Anywhere the British Secret Se...
M
Moonraker Offline
mopar
Moonraker  Offline
mopar
M

Anywhere the British Secret Se...
Quote:

you can paint a car in ppg acrylic enamel, and paint a car in ppg base coat clear coat and the two will not be the same shade.

or you can paint a car in dupont paint , and paint another car in ppg paint and they will not be the same shade.

as said, you cannot learn paint and body work from a book or some community college class.

Uhhh I beg to differ I learned at my community college from a damn good instructor who had the patience to sit down and show people how to work metal and not fill 6" dents with bondo and how to prep and paint a car the right way. Some kids listened some didnt. So it depends on the teacher/student. I caught right on and had a knack for doing body work/paint as did a few other people. By the time I painted my first car that year everyone and their dog was asking me to paint their cars.

Re: Is shade change a color change? [Re: Moonraker] #1193524
03/08/12 09:06 PM
03/08/12 09:06 PM
Newfoundland
M
mopar_man Offline
master
mopar_man  Offline
master
M

Newfoundland
Quote:

Quote:

Uhhh I beg to differ I learned at my community college from a damn good instructor who had the patience to sit down and show people how to work metal and not fill 6" dents with bondo and how to prep and paint a car the right way. Some kids listened some didnt. So it depends on the teacher/student. I caught right on and had a knack for doing body work/paint as did a few other people. By the time I painted my first car that year everyone and their dog was asking me to paint their cars.

HMMMMM?? Why would think different? Everything that Mr. Wright said is true about the paint but you have to go to school be taught the process. I agree school will not make a great painter or badyman , it will give you the building blocks and teach you the correct procedures . I never fell off the turnip wagon yesterday when it comes to paint and bodywork , but I have done my share of both .
Talking about different shades , just look at the people who spray their car doors laying flat on a bench and spray their 1/4s and fenders intact and they wonder why the color don't match .
Go on e gag and look at all the nice metalic jobs and the doors are a shade off . there are many there right now .
I'll see if i can find a few examples of what i'm saying.
Oh BTW Congrats on becoming a good bodyman and painter. They are getting harder and harder to find .

Re: Is shade change a color change? [Re: DPelletier] #1193525
03/08/12 09:11 PM
03/08/12 09:11 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Online rolleyes
I Win
JohnRR  Online Rolleyes
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Depends how far off it is. Honestly; if you have 10 different F8 cars side by side, you are going to have 10 slight (or in some cases, not-so slight) variations. I wouldn't consider these variations a "color change" per se, but if they are too far off it can be considered a poor color match. B5 to B7 or something like that is a color change albeit slightly less offensive than the typical F4 to FE5 or TX9.

Dave

Re: Is shade change a color change? [Re: NOrrTH] #1193526
03/08/12 09:22 PM
03/08/12 09:22 PM
oklahoma
F
forphorty Offline
pro stock
forphorty  Offline
pro stock
F

oklahoma
The colors from the factory can vary quite a bit from one car to the next. It's better than it used to be. When i worked at a GM dealer 20 years ago, i remember two Olds Cieras parked in the shop that you would almost bet they were different colors if you did'nt check the paint codes. Seems like we sprayed a lot of test panels back then