02/09/12 11:14 AM
Central New York
slippery440 Offline
Crybaby440
slippery440  Offline
Crybaby440

Central New York
Quote:

When I responded to this subject, I knew it wouldn't be long before this type of "righteous" response was presented.

For the record, my 543 KB block/hat/440-1(cnc345) dragster will run easy 7.40's with 50/50 Prestone.

My 565 S/G roadster will run 8.20's with 50/50 Prestone. Every drag car I've been down the track in since 1978 has had anti-freeze. I'm not hard to spot at D4 events, so be sure to give me a bye run!

We return now to regular programming.

BTW, what are the odds you and I would register here on the same day??Go figure that.

RIP

Been racing since 1978 you should be smart enough not to do it and if you already KNEW you would get a self righteous post you should be prepaired to get crap. You dump anitfreeze on the track and you are in the points race or a shootout up here in New York you will be sent home. This is in time trials or T&T. You have a roaster that WILL RUN 8.20s well good luck with that when one of your buddies that think like you drop antifreeze in front of you and the track guys don't see it.People like you have no respect for your fellow racers.

If the MODS did their job I would not be hitting the notify MOD button. LOL
Re: nhra and antifreeze [Re: slippery440] #1174345
02/09/12 11:27 AM
02/09/12 11:27 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

When I responded to this subject, I knew it wouldn't be long before this type of "righteous" response was presented.

For the record, my 543 KB block/hat/440-1(cnc345) dragster will run easy 7.40's with 50/50 Prestone.

My 565 S/G roadster will run 8.20's with 50/50 Prestone. Every drag car I've been down the track in since 1978 has had anti-freeze. I'm not hard to spot at D4 events, so be sure to give me a bye run!

We return now to regular programming.

BTW, what are the odds you and I would register here on the same day??Go figure that.

RIP

Been racing since 1978 you should be smart enough not to do it and if you already KNEW you would get a self righteous post you should be prepaired to get crap. You dump anitfreeze on the track and you are in the points race or a shootout up here in New York you will be sent home. This is in time trials or T&T. You have a roaster that WILL RUN 8.20s well good luck with that when one of your buddies that think like you drop antifreeze in front of you and the track guys don't see it.People like you have no respect for your fellow racers.

Street cars suck on the track.

Re: nhra and antifreeze [Re: slippery440] #1174346
02/09/12 12:04 PM
02/09/12 12:04 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Ever wonder why the track prep sucks on street car
nights... TNT... they dont want to spray and drag the
track so some street car can dump a load of anti-freeze
on it ... plus it takes them ALOT LONGER to clean that
stuff up

Re: nhra and antifreeze [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1174347
02/09/12 12:18 PM
02/09/12 12:18 PM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Guess we need to tell all the 'punk kids' who finally take it to the track, that sorry, they need to go home because they have anti-freeze in their radiators on their street cars.

makes sense to me, I'd rather they go race on on the streets than to risk one of them getting antifreeze on the track and making me crash.

any argument you make for why antifreeze is bad, applies to ALL fluids, so, sorry, I don't buy it.

"tiny leak, sprays a mist over the track nobody can see"

isn't that possible with an oil line too? guess we need to make everybody drain the oil out of their engines before they race. wouldn't want a fine mist of oil sprayed on the track before you run your 8 second car.

Same with all the automatic transmissions. you could get a tiny leak on one of the coolant lines, and leave a spray of mist of ATF on the track too.

I see it now. next year in the NHRA rule book, all petroleum based products are banned. congratulations, you don't need engine diapers anymore! now you'll just fill your engines, transmissions, radiators, with pure H2O to prevent possibly leaking said slippery products onto the track.

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: nhra and antifreeze [Re: slippery440] #1174348
02/09/12 12:20 PM
02/09/12 12:20 PM
Newark,Ohio
kissmyaspen Offline
pro stock
kissmyaspen  Offline
pro stock

Newark,Ohio
Quote:

You guys that think its ok to run antifreeze please stay home and garage race over the internet.If any of you guys ever had a car that had enough power to spin the wheels you would understand the guy in the 8 second car behind you would probly nut you if you spilled antifreeze in his lane. Then the track crew would be next in line and then every racer that has to wait half hour or more to clean up after your junk. Reson water over antifreeze is water will evaporate on a hot track. Leak a mist of antifreeze its not easy to see but it will be like a ice covered road.

dont give me that crap... i have been sideways at 103 in a 13 sec car and it wasnt bcause of antifreeze... even if you get water on the track on a colder night its not gonna be gone quick enough. so its still a hazard... it dont matter what gets on the track its going to be slippery and possibly cause problems.. if we could make every car not break that would fix everything...and the track prep on a tnt tune night sucks because you have so many street cars that tear up the track and not enough big cars to put down rubber..

79 Dodge Aspen
12.265 at 109.75 MPH

67 Satellite NSS/E
11.83 @ 110

1968 Plymouth Road Runner 472 Hemi

3 time MOPAR NATIONALS CHAMP '03 FWD and '06 & '09 Street.
'07, '10, '12 Mopar Nats runner-up Street.
Re: nhra and antifreeze [Re: 70Cuda383] #1174349
02/09/12 12:30 PM
02/09/12 12:30 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Guess we need to tell all the 'punk kids' who finally take it to the track, that sorry, they need to go home because they have anti-freeze in their radiators on their street cars.

makes sense to me, I'd rather they go race on on the streets than to risk one of them getting antifreeze on the track and making me crash.

any argument you make for why antifreeze is bad, applies to ALL fluids, so, sorry, I don't buy it.

"tiny leak, sprays a mist over the track nobody can see"

isn't that possible with an oil line too? guess we need to make everybody drain the oil out of their engines before they race. wouldn't want a fine mist of oil sprayed on the track before you run your 8 second car.

Same with all the automatic transmissions. you could get a tiny leak on one of the coolant lines, and leave a spray of mist of ATF on the track too.

I see it now. next year in the NHRA rule book, all petroleum based products are banned. congratulations, you don't need engine diapers anymore! now you'll just fill your engines, transmissions, radiators, with pure H2O to prevent possibly leaking said slippery products onto the track.

I can see that none of the guys ever tried doing a
clean up after a anti-freeze spill.... if you go
out there with a drag you just spread it... so it
has to be wiped up then once cleaned up then hit it
with the drag....... and no I dont think that the
guys/kids should be racing on the street
If you have noticed they make you have a overflow
bottle on the radiator but thats it... wonder why...
because thats what ends up on the track THE MOST

Re: nhra and antifreeze [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1174350
02/09/12 12:47 PM
02/09/12 12:47 PM
Central New York
slippery440 Offline
Crybaby440
slippery440  Offline
Crybaby440

Central New York
Here is the deal. If you want to race on a drag strip and respect the other drivers and don't want to cause a crash. You will make sure to your best ability to see that your car is not leaking fuilds of any kind.Then once at the track if for some reason a leak starts somewhere on your car you either fix it or go home.If you have a RACE only car you only have WATER in it. The rest is up to the track officials at tech and starter to look close to catch leaks BEFORE you go down the track.If I ever found out that anyone knew they had a leak and ignored it and I crash because of that. Well there would be a world of hurt on that person.

Re: nhra and antifreeze [Re: slippery440] #1174351
02/09/12 01:14 PM
02/09/12 01:14 PM
lake charles, la
S
sc4400 Offline
mopar
sc4400  Offline
mopar
S

lake charles, la
"Been racing since 1978 you should be smart enough not to do it and if you already KNEW you would get a self righteous post you should be prepaired to get crap. You dump anitfreeze on the track and you are in the points race or a shootout up here in New York you will be sent home. This is in time trials or T&T. You have a roaster that WILL RUN 8.20s well good luck with that when one of your buddies that think like you drop antifreeze in front of you and the track guys don't see it.People like you have no respect for your fellow racers."

IN YOUR HUMBLE OPINION....right?

Personally, I am anal about leaks. I expect everyone else is too? No?

I don't do water because aluminum corrodes and that doesn't work for me.

To say I have no respect for other racers is just plain foolish and arrogant on your part. But hey, we are all entitled to our opinions.

I so love the internet!

RIP

Re: nhra and antifreeze [Re: sc4400] #1174352
02/09/12 02:35 PM
02/09/12 02:35 PM
Tucson AZ.
RADAMX Offline
enthusiast
RADAMX  Offline
enthusiast

Tucson AZ.
I have to agree with the dark side .
I run antifreeze because That is what is supposed to be there .
that being said I also have my overflow set in the center just in case .
If my car leaks anything there is a reason and I am going home .
I have seen people stuff rags under there cars just to get another pass . If you leak oil ,trans fluid or water you should not be on the track . Fix the problem not the results .
I have seen Blocks, trans and rear ends split in half .
Sh!t happens and when it does it needs to be delt with.
Antifreeze is just like oil and it sucks when it hits the track .
We as racers need to do our best to keep the track clean.
And yes I do go down the track with an 8 second car .

Re: nhra and antifreeze [Re: slippery440] #1174353
02/09/12 02:50 PM
02/09/12 02:50 PM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Quote:

Here is the deal. If you want to race on a drag strip and respect the other drivers and don't want to cause a crash. You will make sure to your best ability to see that your car is not leaking fuilds of any kind.Then once at the track if for some reason a leak starts somewhere on your car you either fix it or go home.If you have a RACE only car you only have WATER in it. The rest is up to the track officials at tech and starter to look close to catch leaks BEFORE you go down the track.If I ever found out that anyone knew they had a leak and ignored it and I crash because of that. Well there would be a world of hurt on that person.

EXACTLY!! If you're going to run at the track, remember that the world does not revolve around you. That means not expecting all the other racers to do things YOUR way, and also to be respectful of the other cars and not run if you have a leak. Seems simple enough to me?

Things break, sh-poop happens. A guy who accidentally leaks antifreeze on the track is no different than the guy who tosses a rod and oils down the track. If you cannot accept the risk of something slippery being on the track and not having perfect track conditions, then stop racing, because the world ain't fair, and never will be fair.

Next time at the track, if you see "some punk kid in a Honda" running his AC as he pulls up to the line, remember, he's probably inexperienced in proper track "protocol" and you KNOW he has no idea what real torque or horsepower is, so instead of jumping up his butt for dripping water out of his AC drip vent... Try just giving him a heads up. Teach him. How do you expect your sport to survive if you treat others who participate, with a hostile and negative attitude? Or, is it really just all about you and what's good for you?

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: nhra and antifreeze [Re: RADAMX] #1174354
02/09/12 02:52 PM
02/09/12 02:52 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

Ethylene glycol is slipperier and evaporates more slowly than water.

I watched a friend's car turn left and barrel roll through the lights , I think he still turned 8.92 or something like that. It was the first run after a shower and even though the track dryer had worked for like a half hour there was still enough moisture to lose traction on one side. Thank God his rollcage was stout, we all thought he was dead. He walked away. It took a year to rebuild the car.

So while I started reading this post thinking pro-antifreeze, I have changed my mind and would come down on the water side. It was way too scary to watch the ambulance race down the track and wait for word. My teenage daughter was in shock...her first words were, "Is he dead?"

Racing is expensive and requires time any way you slice it. A little more time can prevent an accident and it could be you in the rolling car.

No self-righteous attitude here, just a really vivid memory.

R.

Re: nhra and antifreeze [Re: slippery440] #1174355
02/09/12 03:47 PM
02/09/12 03:47 PM
Mt. Vernon, Ohio
dartman366 Offline
I Live Here
dartman366  Offline
I Live Here

Mt. Vernon, Ohio
Quote:

You guys that think its ok to run antifreeze please stay home and garage race over the internet.If any of you guys ever had a car that had enough power to spin the wheels you would understand the guy in the 8 second car behind you would probly nut you if you spilled antifreeze in his lane. Then the track crew would be next in line and then every racer that has to wait half hour or more to clean up after your junk. Reson water over antifreeze is water will evaporate on a hot track. Leak a mist of antifreeze its not easy to see but it will be like a ice covered road.

here's another vote for no antifreeze,water wetter and distilled water is all I run.

Light travels faster than the speed of sound,,,this is why some people seem bright untill you hear them speak.
Re: nhra and antifreeze [Re: dartman366] #1174356
02/09/12 08:32 PM
02/09/12 08:32 PM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Prestone is the official antifreeze/coolant of NHRA.....go figure

Rickster

Re: nhra and antifreeze [Re: rickstershemi] #1174357
02/09/12 09:27 PM
02/09/12 09:27 PM
Central New York
slippery440 Offline
Crybaby440
slippery440  Offline
Crybaby440

Central New York
SC4400 A couple of questions. You have a aluminum block what rust? Do you have a diaper for the motor? Do you have a scatersheild? Do you have a driveshaft hoop? Hope you have all of those. So the only thing left is the radiator and hoses. So what you are saying is that you use antifreeze and so what if it leaks on the track RIGHT? The next guy in line with the dragster is SOL. Me foolish and arrogant? I don't think so

Last edited by slippery440; 02/09/12 09:30 PM.

Re: nhra and antifreeze [Re: slippery440] #1174358
02/10/12 12:15 AM
02/10/12 12:15 AM
lake charles, la
S
sc4400 Offline
mopar
sc4400  Offline
mopar
S

lake charles, la
Quote:

SC4400 A couple of questions. You have a aluminum block what rust? Do you have a diaper for the motor? Do you have a scatersheild? Do you have a driveshaft hoop? Hope you have all of those. So the only thing left is the radiator and hoses. So what you are saying is that you use antifreeze and so what if it leaks on the track RIGHT? The next guy in line with the dragster is SOL. Me foolish and arrogant? I don't think so

OK, I'll play.

Read the post again. Didn't say rust, said "corrode" Not the same thing.

What is a "scatershield"? I do know that "scatter shield" would be found with a clutch. I run a torque convertor, and a ring gear shield. Also have a drive shaft "Loop", no hoops.

And for the real point,how do you possibly think that I would not care if I had a leak? That is irrational, as the most likely person affected by a leak would be me. At 170+, that might be unpleasant. I take meticulous care of my equipment. That is all anyone can do.

Life is a risk.

The only thing I really don't care about is what unpleasant people like you think. You've stated your opinion. If you feel so strongly, perhaps you might lobby for a rule change.

Good luck with that.

RIP

Re: nhra and antifreeze [Re: sc4400] #1174359
02/10/12 12:50 AM
02/10/12 12:50 AM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
IMO, If you own and drive a race car, you should be running water. I run water, water wetter, and waterpump lube. High on my list is respecting my fellow racer and that includes his safety - as well as mine. I don't even want to think about being the cause of someone elses accident because I knowingly drove a car that had a leak. At last years MATS during the second round of Pro I was lining up against another car and I thought I saw fluid dripping under his car. As I nudged in to the first stage light I wondered if I would get a by. Starter was on the ball and I did. Felt sorry for the guy behind him.

Fastest 300
Re: nhra and antifreeze [Re: Crizila] #1174360
02/10/12 08:29 AM
02/10/12 08:29 AM
Greer, SC
TooMany62s Offline
top fuel
TooMany62s  Offline
top fuel

Greer, SC
People who think it's OK to ignore safety rules they don't like shouldn't be racing.

Re: nhra and antifreeze [Re: TooMany62s] #1174361
02/10/12 08:42 AM
02/10/12 08:42 AM
Newark,Ohio
kissmyaspen Offline
pro stock
kissmyaspen  Offline
pro stock

Newark,Ohio
This is funny... So what the difference between antifreeze and synthetic oil?? And I bet 75% of the people that are commenting on this only race maybe 5 times a year..

Re: nhra and antifreeze [Re: sc4400] #1174362
02/10/12 12:08 PM
02/10/12 12:08 PM
Boynton Beach, Fl
Rapid588 Offline
super stock
Rapid588  Offline
super stock

Boynton Beach, Fl
Here are a couple of pics of my friends race car that he had been racing at the same track since it was almost new (at MOROSO....now PBIR).

He said he was on a normal 10 second run when he totally had no control whatsoever when he unknowingly hit a light patch of antifreeze.

I did not see the wreck, but i did see the aftermath.... people that saw it said he cleared the 40 ft high scoreboards.

The guy in the 11 second car that ran right before him in that lane was observed looking for a coolant leak and wiping antifreeze off his windsheild right after his run.

It was later confirmed he was running antifreeze even though
he knew it was the tracks WRITTEN policy for non street cars to not run antifreeze.
Some people think they are above the rules or don't care about the safety of others .... almost cost my friend his life!!!

93 Dodge Stealth - Supercharged 526ci Hemi
93 Dodge Daytona Top Sportsman injected 588 Hemi - plus a lil NOS
67 Hemi GTX (may the 4speed with you!)
Re: nhra and antifreeze [Re: kissmyaspen] #1174363
02/10/12 01:01 PM
02/10/12 01:01 PM
Franklin, TN
23T Hemmee Offline
mopar
23T Hemmee  Offline
mopar

Franklin, TN
Quote:

This is funny... So what the difference between antifreeze and synthetic oil?? And I bet 75% of the people that are commenting on this only race maybe 5 times a year..

The difference is you eliminate as many safety hazards as possible, since you can't eliminate oil, you eliminate what you can, antifreeze being an obvious choice. And yeah, I race 5-6 times a year.....so what?

Ronny
6.789 @ 198.63 **.956 Brand New 60'***
4.17@ 169 1/8th mile
John 14:6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUku_hjYRh8
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4