01/16/12 06:35 PM
Las Vegas, NV
C
cuda70_383 Offline OP
cuda70_383  Offline OP
C

Las Vegas, NV
Hi everybody,
I am rewiring my '73 Charger (original 340 Rallye car). It's got the typical melting due to having a 60+ amp alternator, so I decided to order up the Painless Mopar kit and dive in. I'm reusing most of the OEM-style connectors (bulkhead and a few others). I'm trying to replace ALL of the original wiring and terminal ends, or as much as possible. I'll be running an electric fuel pump, electric cooling fans (both off of relays) and a big alternator (100+ amps) so an ammeter is out of the question. I'm going to have Shannon at Redline redo the gauges, and I'm switching to a Voltmeter following the general guidelines on the MAD electrical site.

So, enough background, and on to my questions

Does anybody know of a source for the 90 degree molded terminals that go to various gauges? I'm talking about water temp, oil pressure, fuel gauge, tach, etc. I'd like to get something similar to this OEM-style terminal rather than splicing/reusing originals, and I'd also like to avoid just using ring terminals if possible.

I've also decided to switch from incandescents to to LEDs for all the lights that I can, but I'm curious if anybody knows a source for the light bases. Most of them are plastic push-in style ('57' bulbs with single wire/BA9s), but some are two-wire (one wire grounds the base and the other is 'hot', whereas the single-wires are grounded through the instrument panel PCB). Can anybody recommend parts that would work in the dashes of our old mopes? Most of these lights use a BA9s socket (the Sylvania '57' bulbs), but it's hard to tell from pictures alone (on various sites) what would work in the dash and I don't know if those are also used for other bulbs (#1891/1892/1895, etc.)

The last thing I'm curious about are the red/yellow/orange molded connectors that have one or two wires going "in" and three female bullet-style connectors for various circuits. There are a few options for this (including splice/reuse and a couple different aftermarket options), but I'm curious about what ya'll might suggest to replace those too.

Up to this point, I've used Waytek and Superbrightleds as sources for wiring/tools and lights (respectively) and Summit for the Painless kit. I'd love to hear ideas from DIY'ers and resto folks regarding how you've handled these things. I'm using Waytek Molex connectors (150XL) to replace a few of the connectors that are shot (like the 8-conductor steering column connections), but thought it would be nice to reuse what I could. I'm soldering and heat-shrinking all the terminal ends that I can.

Thanks for any feedback/info!

WH23H3A, FE5/White.
BS27N0B, FC7/PRXW/Y07.
BS23G0E, EK2/H6X9.
Re: Dash wiring molded terminals (1973 Charger) [Re: cuda70_383] #1158779
01/17/12 04:48 PM
01/17/12 04:48 PM
Las Vegas, NV
C
cuda70_383 Offline OP
cuda70_383  Offline OP
C

Las Vegas, NV
Quote:

Thanks for any feedback/info!

OK, sorry about the giant post. I'll simplify my questions in the hope that somebody has any feedback and can make it through the post

1. Does anybody know of a source (or a good alternative) for the 90 degree molded terminals that were used originally on the wires that go to the backs of the gauges (oil pressure/fuel/water temp)?

2. Same question as above, but for light bulb bases in the instrument cluster (1 and 2 wire, GE #57, 1891/1892/1895)?

3. Same question as above, but for the red/yellow/orange molded connectors (bullet-style) in the dash wiring?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

WH23H3A, FE5/White.
BS27N0B, FC7/PRXW/Y07.
BS23G0E, EK2/H6X9.