Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

Interesting subject.

Noteworthy forum reply quoted from Hot Rod at the bottom of this page. The intake manifold theory seems legit.

Jeff @ Modern made a post a while back saying the same thing.....it's all about the intake manifold......

BTW, I wish it were only a $30 option for Mopars....

Quote:

Would anyone who has swapped firing order care to provide a sound clip?

I've got a funny story.......My wife and I went by a guy's house a few years ago and when we got there, one of his friend's along with his entourage of buddies were there and they were getting ready to fire up a brand new, freshly built big block, headsup, nitrous Chevy with a 4/7 swap camshaft.......Both of these guys are "local gurus".......

They fire it up for the first time and it sounds different than any motor I'd heard before ........My wife looks at me and says "that sounds like something's wrong".....and I say "yeah, it sure does" .........

Thing about my wife is she's just a normal woman ......knows very little about cars but has been around a bunch of the motors I've built, that unlike most people's stuff around here, actually idle right.....start right.....have plenty of initial timing....and so on.......

Well, the owner of the car says it "sure sounds a lot different than before" ......The guy that built the motor says "yeah, it's that 4/7 swap camshaft" ........so after all of these guys get finished high fiving each other over how it started right up and sounds so good, they shut it off to run the valves again.........The owner of the car decides to double check the firing order and realizes that two plug wires are switched!!!

They swap the wires, fire it up, and it sounded basically normal to me..... sounded fairly smooth.....but what I'd call normal..... My wife goes "I KNEW something was wrong.....".....

If you can't handle the truth, you're living a lie.......
Re: Swap Firing order [Re: Big Squeeze] #1149693
01/04/12 03:32 PM
01/04/12 03:32 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
this post has had me thinking a lot on this subject, IE a better firing order for our motors I take the stock firing order and write it down on two lines, four cylinders per line
just like the motor is normally I then swap the upper and lower cylinder numbers around and look at them to see if I can get a combination that looks better No better solutions yet I'm sure, I hope, I'm correct on this, that there is a better firing order for our motors But what is it I remember the first year I went to Pomona(1970-71 era), there was several Hemi Baracudas running in modified production classes, one that had changed the crankshaft to a 180 degree crank and the other one had a set of 180 degree headers on it. Both sounded like in line six cylinders I guess the only real way to make a better firing order is with a custom built crankshaft Anyone on here know anything they want to share with us on that Come on, open up

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Swap Firing order [Re: Mpetros] #1149694
01/04/12 07:15 PM
01/04/12 07:15 PM
acworth / N. georgia - south e...
cheapstreetdustr Offline
master
cheapstreetdustr  Offline
master

acworth / N. georgia - south e...
6 on one hand
1/2 dozen on the other..
it makes no difference...

its akin to looking down at your motor from the passenger side of the block
or
looking down at your motor from the drivers side
or theoretically turning your intake manifold and crankshaft around 180* inside the block...

it makes no difference..both pistons are in the exact same position.. just 180 apposed on cycle

again 6 of one ,1/2 dozen of the other...

cheapst

Ps..Header exhaust scavenge might be the only legitimate arguement you could make to a performance gain...

365" Iron J heads,,3480lbs best 1.39 60ft on SS springs.10.54,124 mph ...6.67 1/8th et.average 60fts 1.46 w/ small cam &.063 no2 pill tagged & insured
[image][/image]
Re: Swap Firing order [Re: cheapstreetdustr] #1149695
01/05/12 12:58 AM
01/05/12 12:58 AM
usa
90ram Offline
90ram  Offline

usa
I havent seen it done on Stock type Engines.. But Most of the Highly Modified Bigger Cube Engines seem to do the 4/7 Swap..Ive seen Most of the 540 and Bigger B-1 Stuff with it, not really on the Indy 440-1 or 572-13 Stuff..The Chevys with the Big Duke and the Big Chief Heads Ive seen 4/7 done on them Most of the Time..

Re: Swap Firing order [Re: Mpetros] #1149696
01/28/12 02:39 AM
01/28/12 02:39 AM
Texas Afghanistan Iraq etc.
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

Texas Afghanistan Iraq etc.
The SWAP comes form the Roundy-Round dirt track guys. They originally did it to try to solve the Overheating #5 & #7 cylinders issue that chevies were prone to. (Think racing with factory Blocks NOT race blocks) Some also found a few extra HP. Biggest claim I ever heard was low 20's HP. Most say mid teens on a good day.

I have heard a few people claim/state that it seems to help with High-RPM harmonics. Above 6000rpms.

From everything I have read. In drag racing it really would not be a HP advantage worth the $$$$, but would be worth the $$$$ for the longevity and durability if you are a HIGH Revver.

And yes the Factories now use the same firing order in some V-8s. LS has always had the dual swap.4/7 2/3.

I'll be doing the same whenever I get around to putting my engine together. Have to buy a Custom Cam anyways. Spend the extra few $$$ and get the swap.

I wouldn't do it just to do it.

Re: Swap Firing order [Re: DakFink] #1149697
01/28/12 01:26 PM
01/28/12 01:26 PM
NEW JERSEY
BIGSPEED Offline
BIGSPEED  Offline

NEW JERSEY
The end result firing order on any engine is a concert between crank pin position and intake manifold Traffic.its a balance smoothing out crank harmonics by figuring out where the crank pin is in relation to cylinder firing and studying induction results with o2 readings on each cylinder,very often cross jetting figures into the end result.Most who just change to a altered firing order see little or no gain,We have found small gains with dyno data ,also sometime the temperature grid from cylinder to cylinder can be improved with the correct firing order.Last the header should be clocked to the firing order.Bill C.

Ceralli Racing Engines & Checkered Flag Machine Racing engines , CNC porting & induction development http://www.checkeredflagmachine.net/
Page 2 of 2 1 2