Marilla, New York
R
RalleyA12 Offline OP
mopar
RalleyA12  Offline OP
mopar
R

Marilla, New York

I'm painting a 1970 Cuda AAR with the paint code FK5 (K5)and would like to get the best possible match with the original color. I would like to use a basecoat/clearcoat color if possible. What paint manufacturer have you found that can best match the original color.

Re: What paint manufacturer for best K5 paint match [Re: RalleyA12] #1145132
12/27/11 05:56 PM
12/27/11 05:56 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

I'm painting a 1970 Cuda AAR with the paint code FK5 (K5)and would like to get the best possible match with the original color. I would like to use a basecoat/clearcoat color if possible. What paint manufacturer have you found that can best match the original color.

This is a loaded question: ask 10 painters, get 14 1/2 different answers regarding "matching".....one will say I got the best match with PPG, one will say Dupont, another will say OMNI, so on. and so on...the guy mixing the paint is the one that makes or breaks the "match".....some just follow the C-U-M code and mix blindly, some know from years of experience what can/will alter the mix to match whatever sample you may be supplying,....then when you have the "perfect" match/batch, then it changes based on your painter's technique, coverage, humidity that day, base primer color, or sealer tint used, the list goes on and on.....you should be asking what's the best paint to use to achieve the "look" your after, in the way of texture, originality, durability,......price should not enter the equation, if your serious about a quality paint on your pride and joy.....

Mike

FYI, I prefer the Dupont Chroma Premier BC/CC line, Spies Hecker, HOC, Sikkens....in this order