Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: I will never install a rubber rear main seal again!! [Re: KillerCuda] #1102407
06/08/13 12:04 AM
06/08/13 12:04 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Troy how is this seal holding up ? I was told by the shop I have been going to recently that these seals are made of something like fiberglass and don't work very well. They suggested that I get rope seals from Best Gasket, they are a graphite material but they are not cheap. I just ordered them from Egge Machine , can not buy directly from Best, 25.12 each ... OUCH

i believe you are correct on the fiberglass make up. i installed one in an engine 11 years ago, and it's leaking, started about six months after installation. i installed this felpro in my same hemi combo as troy, but it leaked. i probably chalk that one up to installer error, even though i thought it looked good upon install and later, removal.

i also installed one of the graphite ropes in my gto, (had VERY troublesome problems getting any seal to work, so i went to the graphite rope), and it has been great. that being said, i firmly believe in the graphite rope. i could not drag the graphite rope seal into/around the hemi crank like the fiber ones, so beware if that is your plan, they don't really like being installed that way, crank out worked best for me, as per the instructions as well.....

D

thanks for that heads up , the engines I will be installing them in are all unassembled so that shouldn't be an issue.

My Hemi and my 383 stroker both have smooth seal area cranks , I'm not sure now if I should put a rope seal in them or not ?

Re: I will never install a rubber rear main seal again!! [Re: JohnRR] #1102408
06/08/13 08:53 AM
06/08/13 08:53 AM
Pittsburgh, Pa
J
Jeff_383 Offline
super stock
Jeff_383  Offline
super stock
J

Pittsburgh, Pa
from what I can gather:

smooth crank=rubber seal
knurled crank=rope seal

Re: I will never install a rubber rear main seal again!! [Re: Jeff_383] #1102409
06/08/13 10:06 AM
06/08/13 10:06 AM
Ohio
B
billohio Offline
enthusiast
billohio  Offline
enthusiast
B

Ohio
my 472 also leaks. Just took it out and didnt look to see what seal was in it. very annoying. Thanks for all who posted fixes!!

Re: I will never install a rubber rear main seal again!! [Re: JohnRR] #1102410
06/08/13 11:01 AM
06/08/13 11:01 AM
Oregon
KillerCuda Offline
enthusiast
KillerCuda  Offline
enthusiast

Oregon
Quote:

thanks for that heads up , the engines I will be installing them in are all unassembled so that shouldn't be an issue.

My Hemi and my 383 stroker both have smooth seal area cranks , I'm not sure now if I should put a rope seal in them or not ?

ah. all mine were grooved cranks, which i thought may have been part of the issue with the lip seal sealing, but who knows, i see plenty of people running lips on old cranks with grooves, and it works. my current 472 hemi has a grooved eagle crank, and i just put another lip seal in, (checked seal riding area with grease on the crank then rotated it) and the lip just barely hits the smooth portion in front of the grooves. it, has been dry for 200 miles now, a first for this engine with numerous seals.....

but, beings you have smooth cranks to begin with, i would not be afraid to run the lip seal. i offset mine for install, with a conservative amount of rtv holding it in place on both halves. oh, those graphite seals have the nice fiber side seals though, i found a lot of the other seals did not have the greatest option for side seals in the seal cap. i used a conservative amount of rtv there too, just enough to squeeze out a wee bit everywhere, and it's held up great so far.

good luck! and thanks to troy again for all the inside help/tips.....

D

Re: I will never install a rubber rear main seal again!! [Re: KillerCuda] #1102411
06/09/13 12:02 AM
06/09/13 12:02 AM
Seattle, WA
R
rss Offline
super stock
rss  Offline
super stock
R

Seattle, WA
Quote:

i believe you are correct on the fiberglass make up. i installed one in an engine 11 years ago, and it's leaking, started about six months after installation. i installed this felpro in my same hemi combo as troy, but it leaked. i probably chalk that one up to installer error, even though i thought it looked good upon install and later, removal.

i also installed one of the graphite ropes in my gto, (had VERY troublesome problems getting any seal to work, so i went to the graphite rope), and it has been great. that being said, i firmly believe in the graphite rope. i could not drag the graphite rope seal into/around the hemi crank like the fiber ones, so beware if that is your plan, they don't really like being installed that way, crank out worked best for me, as per the instructions as well.....

Lots of good information here on Moparts, but I swear that I got alot more done in the pre-internet days when I only knew of one way to make a fix to something. Now I hem and haw about which is the best of six or more ways to skin every cat. Was just about to button up the bottom end of my 383 with a Felpro rope seal but am having second thought about ordering the graphite one from Best.

I had looked into Best a few months back but was under the impression that they didn't make a rope seal for a Mopar big block. JohnRR, what is the part number for the Best seal you are ordering from Egge?

Re: I will never install a rubber rear main seal again!! [Re: rss] #1102412
06/09/13 02:34 AM
06/09/13 02:34 AM
Oregon
KillerCuda Offline
enthusiast
KillerCuda  Offline
enthusiast

Oregon
Quote:

JohnRR, what is the part number for the Best seal you are ordering from Egge?

i am not john, but i talked to best gasket directly, and part number 5297 was what they suggested, and it is a great seal kit. comes with the fiber side seals, razor knife for trimming, shim for correct crush, tiny dowel pin for keeping the seal from rotating once installed, (not sure of necessary, but it's there), and detailed instructions. i would not think twice about using it. i am sure the felpro may work fine, but i am kind of damaged from all my rear main leak trama, and am a fan of this one over the felpro.

d

ps, that 'L' shaped blade was something that i made, not the one in the kit.....

7735963-IMG_0552.jpg (359 downloads)
Last edited by KillerCuda; 06/09/13 02:36 AM.
Re: I will never install a rubber rear main seal again!! [Re: KillerCuda] #1102413
06/09/13 12:14 PM
06/09/13 12:14 PM
Seattle, WA
R
rss Offline
super stock
rss  Offline
super stock
R

Seattle, WA
Thanks for the info!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4