USA
S
Slider Offline OP
super gas
Slider  Offline OP
super gas
S

USA
I have a 8 3/4 rearend out of a '67 B body that I have been planning to use in my 1968 Barracuda notchback (A-body)...

I measured it last night, and found that it was wider than I thought it should be. So, I compared it to the info in the Tech archives, and sure enough, it turns out that it IS NOT from a B-body, but is from a C-body. (I did not have the measurements with me when I bought it years ago, and just pulled it out of storage.)

I had planned on using a B-body 8 3/4 to widen the rear track a little (from stock A-body track), and to obtain better wheel fitment (through increased backspacing tolerences). I do not yet have wheels or tires picked out, so at least there isn't anything I have to try to work around (yet).

My plan for the car is to make an extremely aggressive, handling street car, with an occassional trip to a road race or autocross track. Because of my desire for the car to handle, I am trying to keep it balanced and as light as possible (especially the unsprung weight).

My question is, what do I do about the rearend now? Would I be money ahead to start over with another rearend? Or, are there effective ways to work with what I have got? I am open to input!

Here are the options I see, and potential 'cons' for each:

1. Scrap the C-body rear and get a B-body 8 3/4 like I had planned for. Which would be additional cost. (Is there even a market for C-body 8 3/4's beyond scrap?)

2. Have it cut down to a B-body width, and have the ends rewelded on. Again, additional costs, but would be less(?) than an entirely new rear. I haven't checked how much though. Plus, I worry about finding a shop that will do it right, know what I mean?

3. Ford 9"... I am not opposed to this on principal, or anything, I had just planned to keep it Mopar. Plus, I have NO idea what these are going for.

4. Dana... Again, not opposed to this either, but I only expect to put out maybe 500 hp max (hence the need for the car to be LIGHT), and this might be overkill. (Then again, if it is worth doing, it is worth over-doing!)

5. ?? Some other rear end?? Here is where my lack of knowledge really suffers. I recall people using other rears under A-body's, but can't recall any specifics now that I need them (of course)!

Please give me some advice and feedback. ESPECIALLY if you have experience with some of these different types of rears, or have gone through something similar.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Rearend Woes (sorta long) [Re: Slider] #1092613
10/11/11 11:34 AM
10/11/11 11:34 AM
chicagoland,usa
B
buildanother Offline
I Live Here
buildanother  Offline
I Live Here
B

chicagoland,usa
Sell the C body rear for whatever you can get for it, and find a late sixties B body rear. Have seen decent prices on housings with axles. The center section is the pricey part.

Re: Rearend Woes (sorta long) [Re: Slider] #1092614
10/11/11 11:43 AM
10/11/11 11:43 AM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
market for C-body 8 3/4 is some what there,they are good to cut down and save some others that are more disirable.

I have a 73 C-body housing cut down by moser running their custom large brake offset axles with 5 on 4.5 wbp and greens.

it made the whole 8 3/4 1/2" wider = 1/4" each side,that put my wheel centerd in the tub of my stock 68 Dart.

I ran 7" rim with a 4.5 wheel backset and 245/60/15 tire combo

had 1/4" clearance at the fender lip and spring/tire bulge.

will cost some but its not that much to have moser cut it down and be right.

does you 67 8 3/4 have the 30" axles?

the 67 polara/C-body 8 3/4 I have has 30" axles that are thick all the way to the end,so they can be cut resplined to A-body specs.

that would save you some on the alxes instead of new ones.(if you are not gonna use high HP and slicks.

that 67 c-body is same as an E-body all but the perch centers,IIRC

one of the charts in the archives has bad info also,so make sure you use the correct one when researching sizes.

Re: Rearend Woes (sorta long) [Re: scratchnfotraction] #1092615
10/11/11 01:37 PM
10/11/11 01:37 PM
USA
S
Slider Offline OP
super gas
Slider  Offline OP
super gas
S

USA
Thanks for the replies.

Good info on the tire spacing, relative to the tub, Scratchin'!

Unfortunately, mine has the tapered axles.

�Hunt down those Chevies and Fords and crush �em like bugs!� ~ Tom Hoover

(O=o=====o=O)
Re: Rearend Woes (sorta long) [Re: Slider] #1092616
10/11/11 02:55 PM
10/11/11 02:55 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA

I would have the C-body rear housing narrowed to the original A-body width, get aftermarket BBP axles and use the C-body brakes. Adjust the track width with wheel backspacing.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: Rearend Woes (sorta long) [Re: Slider] #1092617
10/11/11 07:48 PM
10/11/11 07:48 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
I'd send the C body housing/axles to Moser in Portland Indiana for shortening/rewelding plus new perches all at the correct std A body width then get the right offset wheels. They're not too far from you. A body 8&3/4's are always a valuable commodity so you'll never get hurt on your investment having it cut to A body specs

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth