08/05/11 08:40 PM
08/05/11 08:40 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
The only Bilstein shocks that I know of for a '68-'69 B-body seem to be valved for high performance driving (road course/autocross) and not for general use so will they be too stiff/firm for everyday cruising? I've used Bilsteins since the '70's on everything from BMW 02'S, VW Scirocco, Jetta GLI (lowered factory struts/springs) and even have them on a Ford E350 van. Also used them on my race dirt bikes when they sponsored our team back in the '70's so I kind of feel I know how they work depending on the valving. So how do they work if I'm not changing anything and just adding the Bilstein Hotchkis shocks???

I'm torn between the Hotchkis Bilstein's (Dr. Decarbon floating separator) and the old Koni-been around for decades, air/oil emulsion shock which you would think would be a no-brainer with how good a Bilstein is but not if the valving is too darn stiff? I guess I wrote this for Hotchkis to answer

MikeR

Re: Why should I buy Bilstein shocks instead of Koni shocks [Re: A12] #1047788
08/05/11 08:58 PM
08/05/11 08:58 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Call the guys at Firm Feel. They carry several different shocks including the Bilsteins. They can give you the pros and cons.

Re: Why should I buy Bilstein shocks instead of Koni shocks [Re: AndyF] #1047789
08/05/11 09:15 PM
08/05/11 09:15 PM
Reno, Nevada
NV69B7RR Offline
master
NV69B7RR  Offline
master

Reno, Nevada
If you want a good all around shock buy the Edelbrocks. They are loose at ride height (over small cracks, bumps, etc) but tight when in corners or when the cars tossed back and forth.

Re: Why should I buy Bilstein shocks instead of Koni shocks [Re: AndyF] #1047790
08/05/11 09:18 PM
08/05/11 09:18 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
IIRC, 1WildRT just added Bilstein shocks to a basically stock suspension.

I don't see how Konis are going to be much softer than a Bilstein.

Bilstein has a series/line of non-performance stocker type shocks also.

You might just consider Monroe Gas Matic HD shocks if you are looking for a smooth but controlled ride.

So much driver peference and opinion it's tough to suggest.

Re: Why should I buy Bilstein shocks instead of Koni shocks [Re: autoxcuda] #1047791
08/05/11 09:40 PM
08/05/11 09:40 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Quote:

You might just consider Monroe Gas Matic HD shocks if you are looking for a smooth but controlled ride.

Steve, don't get me wrong I really like Bilstein shocks and have used them since they first came out but even their same shock for the same application there is a difference for their standard, HD and "Sport" settings when it comes to ride quality if you don't match them with other components like springs, camber adjustments or ride height/stroke. Put a set of "Sport" settings on my wife's Scirocco once and she hated them....changed to a set of HD and loved them. On the Koni's at least at the worst I can back off the "wear compensator" if the stock setting is too stiff or I can increase the damping if I think it needs it but with the Bilstein's you live with the base setting or have it re-valved. I don't know how a "Sport" or race setting Bilstein can or would work well just bolted onto a stock '69 GTX? Does Hotchkis offer a base "HD" valved Bilstein shock?

MikeR

Re: Why should I buy Bilstein shocks instead of Koni shocks [Re: autoxcuda] #1047792
08/09/11 11:22 PM
08/09/11 11:22 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Quote:

Steve, had to get something quick for the front of the GTX and haven't gotten a response so I ordered a front set of Monroe gas-matic shocks for $20 each and got them within a day (this evening) from Advance Auto and best part is they are MADE IN USA

If I'm going to spend $120+ each for a shock absorber I wish someone would tell me they are valved for a stock application........I think there is a market for a high quality, premium shock absorber for stock application..

MikeR

Re: Why should I buy Bilstein shocks instead of Koni shocks [Re: A12] #1047793
08/09/11 11:34 PM
08/09/11 11:34 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
I installed the Bilsteins, took off an old set of Monroes, ran the Monroes because other aftermarket shocks I'd run were harsh.. The Monroes weren't harsh & I ran them for years but they also didn't control bigger bumps well or add to the handling.. I too have run Bilsteins on many other vehicles & I've always been impressed with how well they cover the whole spectrum from ride quality in normal driving & harsh road conditions plus help the handling of the car... The improvement has always been obvious but the improvement in the ride & handling of the Challenger was more profound than any other car I've added them to....

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Re: Why should I buy Bilstein shocks instead of Koni shocks [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #1047794
08/09/11 11:51 PM
08/09/11 11:51 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
The "Dr. DeCarbon" floating separator or floating piston to keep the nitrogen out of the oil is the key to why they work so well and consistant. The emulsion shock system using nitrogen instead of air is better than a basic air oil shock but not as good as a separator or even a bladder shock. The DeCarbon system has been around on motocross and off-road race bikes since the '70's and you won't find many performance bikes steet or dirt or many performance cars and trucks that don't use a system with nitrogen, a bladder or separator/floating piston. What's nice about it is when you hit a bump at high (piston/shaft) speed and the oil can't flow through or bypass the valving it compresses the gas or gas chamber and doesn't spike like standard shocks. Also the gas pressure keeps the oil following the piston movement and keeps the shock from cavitating......

MikeR

Re: Why should I buy Bilstein shocks instead of Koni shocks [Re: A12] #1047795
08/10/11 12:25 AM
08/10/11 12:25 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

Steve, had to get something quick for the front of the GTX and haven't gotten a response so I ordered a front set of Monroe gas-matic shocks for $20 each and got them within a day (this evening) from Advance Auto and best part is they are MADE IN USA

If I'm going to spend $120+ each for a shock absorber I wish someone would tell me they are valved for a stock application........I think there is a market for a high quality, premium shock absorber for stock application..

MikeR

I'm sorry I haven't run them on a stock suspended car, so I couldn't give you a first hand answer. So I'd rather pass that along to someone who has; that's why I mentioned 1WildRT. I should have suggested PM'img him.

Seems like he just went doen the same exact road you are going.

Re: Why should I buy Bilstein shocks instead of Koni shocks [Re: A12] #1047796
08/10/11 01:14 AM
08/10/11 01:14 AM
So Cal
Sinitro Offline
master
Sinitro  Offline
master

So Cal
Quote:

The only Bilstein shocks that I know of for a '68-'69 B-body seem to be valved for high performance driving (road course/autocross) and not for general use so will they be too stiff/firm for everyday cruising? I've used Bilsteins since the '70's on everything from BMW 02'S, VW Scirocco, Jetta GLI (lowered factory struts/springs) and even have them on a Ford E350 van. Also used them on my race dirt bikes when they sponsored our team back in the '70's so I kind of feel I know how they work depending on the valving. So how do they work if I'm not changing anything and just adding the Bilstein Hotchkis shocks???

I'm torn between the Hotchkis Bilstein's (Dr. Decarbon floating separator) and the old Koni-been around for decades, air/oil emulsion shock which you would think would be a no-brainer with how good a Bilstein is but not if the valving is too darn stiff? I guess I wrote this fro Hotchkis to answer

MikeR

The big advantage with the Konis' and Bilsteins is that they provide incredible 2-way damping especially for the rebound action. Most OE shocks do OK in the downward action but poorly in the extended action. I have been running the Konis' for about 5 years on my RoadRunner and have been very satisfied with their handling. But then I don't do the Willow Springs road circuit loops and sand-spinners like Steve does in the Cuda..

I have had Bilsteins on other vehicles with great sucess and would have purchased those for the RoadRunner if available @ the time..

Just my $0.02...

Re: Why should I buy Bilstein shocks instead of Koni shocks [Re: A12] #1047797
08/10/11 06:46 PM
08/10/11 06:46 PM
Sante Fe Springs, CA
H
Hotchkis Offline
enthusiast
Hotchkis  Offline
enthusiast
H

Sante Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

Quote:

Steve, don't get me wrong I really like Bilstein shocks and have used them since they first came out but even their same shock for the same application there is a difference for their standard, HD and "Sport" settings when it comes to ride quality if you don't match them with other components like springs, camber adjustments or ride height/stroke. Put a set of "Sport" settings on my wife's Scirocco once and she hated them....changed to a set of HD and loved them. On the Koni's at least at the worst I can back off the "wear compensator" if the stock setting is too stiff or I can increase the damping if I think it needs it but with the Bilstein's you live with the base setting or have it re-valved. I don't know how a "Sport" or race setting Bilstein can or would work well just bolted onto a stock '69 GTX? Does Hotchkis offer a base "HD" valved Bilstein shock?

MikeR

The Hotchkis tuned Bilstein shocks are not as firm as you think. They offer a nice controlled ride that certainly cuts down on float and roll, but are not jarring at all. That said – while our shocks will work well with a stock setup and will certainly improve driving dynamics, we do not offer a second series for vehicles without performance mods. So, if you’re looking for something a little firmer than stock that will help improve handling and may one day add sway bars and a few other mods like bigger wheels/tires, you’ll find our Bilstein is a great choice.

Re: Why should I buy Bilstein shocks instead of Koni shocks [Re: Hotchkis] #1047798
08/11/11 01:37 PM
08/11/11 01:37 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MikeR

The Hotchkis tuned Bilstein shocks are not as firm as you think. They offer a nice controlled ride that certainly cuts down on float and roll, but are not jarring at all. That said – while our shocks will work well with a stock setup and will certainly improve driving dynamics, we do not offer a second series for vehicles without performance mods. So, if you’re looking for something a little firmer than stock that will help improve handling and may one day add sway bars and a few other mods like bigger wheels/tires, you’ll find our Bilstein is a great choice.

Thanks Hotchkis for the reply and information. I think I'll wait until you or Bilstein comes with a set of stock suspension based shocks. If I bought them and didn't like them I wouldn't expect you to take them back and I wouldn't want to do that anyway. I currently have five cars that I have put Bilstein shocks on and I've been happy with them. Some I put on for Sport driving and autocross and the others for ride quality and I selected them accordingly. My wife hates the sport settings and don't want to end up with that on the GTX. Thanks again for your reply and pm.

MikeR

Re: Why should I buy Bilstein shocks instead of Koni shocks [Re: A12] #1047799
08/11/11 04:56 PM
08/11/11 04:56 PM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
B

Val-haul-ass... eventually
You have to ask yourself... What would Adolph Weil have used?

FWIW, I had Konis on the A12 RR & w/ the redline radials it rode OK. I still wouldn't have wanted to try autocrossing it, though.

Re: Why should I buy Bilstein shocks instead of Koni shocks [Re: BradH] #1047800
08/11/11 06:30 PM
08/11/11 06:30 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Quote:

You have to ask yourself... What would Adolph Weil have used?

I'm sure he would have gone with the right set-up BILSTEIN's

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/GODSPEED-ADOLF-WEIL-7908.aspx

Re: Why should I buy Bilstein shocks instead of Koni shocks [Re: BradH] #1047801
08/11/11 06:41 PM
08/11/11 06:41 PM
Graz, Austria
DGS Offline
mopar
DGS  Offline
mopar

Graz, Austria
Quote:

FWIW, I had Konis on the A12 RR & w/ the redline radials it rode OK. I still wouldn't have wanted to try autocrossing it, though.

Are you talking about the red adjustable Konis? I have them on my Charger and I really like them - they give the car a nice firm ride feeling.
I adjusted them to the middle setting.

Re: Why should I buy Bilstein shocks instead of Koni shocks [Re: A12] #1047802
08/12/11 08:13 PM
08/12/11 08:13 PM
Sante Fe Springs, CA
H
Hotchkis Offline
enthusiast
Hotchkis  Offline
enthusiast
H

Sante Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

Thanks Hotchkis for the reply and information. I think I'll wait until you or Bilstein comes with a set of stock suspension based shocks. If I bought them and didn't like them I wouldn't expect you to take them back and I wouldn't want to do that anyway. I currently have five cars that I have put Bilstein shocks on and I've been happy with them. Some I put on for Sport driving and autocross and the others for ride quality and I selected them accordingly. My wife hates the sport settings and don't want to end up with that on the GTX. Thanks again for your reply and pm.

MikeR

Mike - No problem! We were happy to answer your question. Feel free to ask us here or call our toll free number and ask us over the phone. 888-735-6425