08/24/11 03:55 PM
08/24/11 03:55 PM
central Pa.
C
crsnles Offline
crsnles  Offline
C

central Pa.
I want to be straight up with every one here. I have an engine that is having a similar problem but it is after break in and ran for approximately 30-35 miles. The bearings look very similar to the pictures posted here, I still carry good oil pressure even after the bearings look like they do.
The engine I have is not a MOPAR but an inline 6 200cid ford built pretty good, and being car guys and girls it shouldn't matter but wanted all to know I could use the help. All tolerances are within manufacture specs. Just totally clueless at this point. It has happened twice now. Thanks in advance

Re: toasted cam bearings on new build [Re: Performance Only] #1041531
08/24/11 04:07 PM
08/24/11 04:07 PM
LONG ISLAND
fishy340 Offline
master
fishy340  Offline
master

LONG ISLAND
Quote:

you know, perhaps the best way to approach this is by using just a smidgen of logic. there's really only two basic things that will cause what happened to your cam bearings. it's either lack of oil, or it's lack of clearance. of course lack of clearance can be for a large variety of reasons, but it's still a lack therof.
not to be too critical, but based on your pictures and the fact that you only have 25 minutes of run time on the engine. i think i'd go back and check the clearance on those mains as well. you really shouldn't have shiny edges and shiny wear spots like what the pictures show. basically they should look like brand new still if the clearances are correct.
so anyway, are you sure all the holes in the cam bearings were lined up with the oiling holes? one can't really see much of the cam bearings from the pictures you posted. best of luck with it. i'm sure you'll get it figured out.

best quote par none.

Re: toasted cam bearings on new build [Re: crsnles] #1041532
08/24/11 11:17 PM
08/24/11 11:17 PM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
Quote:

Any one heard if he figured out his problem?

He hasnt had a post since July 28th.

IMO, no doubt that motor has some dirt and clearence issues. The Mains look terrible as well.

Re: toasted cam bearings on new build [Re: Sport440] #1041533
09/05/11 01:11 AM
09/05/11 01:11 AM
Central IL
70Sbird Offline OP
mopar
70Sbird  Offline OP
mopar

Central IL
Well I thought I'd provide an update - of sorts. No root cause was ever determined. The bearing manufactures looked at the pics, the engine machine shop and I also went over all the parts with a fine tooth comb, and nothing stands out as installed incorrectly. So far the best "guess" was that the cam bearing that #4 cam bearing with the oil holes that feed the rockers began to "wipe" and closed off part of the hole that allows the oil through. From there the rockers did not get enough oil and began to sieze, increasing he load on the valvetrain and ultimately pushed even harder on the cam bearings. The cam bearings were installed correctly and the cam turned easily in the bearings prior to assembly. The bearing "expert" contaced by my engine machine shop said that the cam must have been installed "dry" and taht caused the failure. This did not happen and I even have pictures of the installed cam with assembly lube seen clearly on the edges of the cam/bearing. So no root cause, the mains and roda are not as bad as they look and the marks in the cylinders came out with cleaning.
So the block has been prepped again with new bearings and will be assembled within the next few weeks. Does anyone have any better theories or experience?

Page 2 of 2 1 2