TN
S
SCATPACK 1 Offline OP
pro stock
SCATPACK 1  Offline OP
pro stock
S

TN
OK here is the deal, 904 heads with an old set of Isky/Crane cast adjustable rockers. Pushrod Cups allow 2 threads to show on the adjuster, so I think this is correct for getting enough oil to the cups.
Running 60 pounds of oil pressure when hot and all of the pushrods look great except the exhaust rocker for #2 cylinder. Last week it was burned black and the cup was broken. This allowed it to come out and bend the intake pushrod. I replaced the adjuster ball and put in a new set of pushrods. I pulled the head and no problem with the valves, they are not hitting the pistons and nothing bent or out of line. Same valve springs pressure on all cylinders. No coil bind, not even close. I am running spacers with 60 thousands clearance instead of springs between the rockers, could this be a problem?
I was running a roller cam with over 700 lift and swapped to a smaller roller cam with 640 lift. Never had any issues with the bigger cam.
The rocker shaft had some scratches the last time this happened. I pulled the rockers off, re honed each of them, polished the rocker arm shafts again, cleaned everything up to make sure nothing was inside the shafts and reinstalled them. This week, the #2 exhaust pushrod cup is noticably smoked and both the intake and the exhaust pushrods are bent which allowed the lifters to come out of their bores. The adjustor ball still looks good and is smooth.
What am I missing? Is it just coincidence that it is the #2 cylinder each time? The only thing I have not checked is the valve guide clearance again. But I am not sure what would have changed on the heads with the cam swap that could affect the guides.

Old Geezer Racing
Re: #2 pushrods keep bending and breaking WHY [Re: SCATPACK 1] #1030955
07/12/11 01:24 PM
07/12/11 01:24 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Is the cup hitting the rocker when the valve is on
the seat... that will be the closest to the rocker...
you might want to take that rocker off and prime the
engine while turning the crank to see if that oil hole
is pumping oil out to the rocker

Re: #2 pushrods keep bending and breaking WHY [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1030956
07/12/11 02:23 PM
07/12/11 02:23 PM
TN
S
SCATPACK 1 Offline OP
pro stock
SCATPACK 1  Offline OP
pro stock
S

TN
The cup is about 1/4 inch below the rocker when the valve is closed. I will try priming it with the rocker off that cylinder and see if any oil comes out.
The rockers are grooved for oil supply, but are the oil holes supposed to be on the front facing the pushrods or facing the valves. Just starting to question everything at this point.
FRUSTRATING
I know it is probably something simple or silly.

Old Geezer Racing
Re: #2 pushrods keep bending and breaking WHY [Re: SCATPACK 1] #1030957
07/12/11 02:35 PM
07/12/11 02:35 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

The cup is about 1/4 inch below the rocker when the valve is closed. I will try priming it with the rocker off that cylinder and see if any oil comes out.
The rockers are grooved for oil supply, but are the oil holes supposed to be on the front facing the pushrods or facing the valves. Just starting to question everything at this point.
FRUSTRATING
I know it is probably something simple or silly.

Its not the top thats close... its the back of the
cup and the radius of the rocker and the higher ratio
will move it in closer yet.... its been a long time
since I used the shaft rockers BUT I think it should
be down and inward.... there was something about the
notch on the end of the shaft but I forgot

Re: #2 pushrods keep bending and breaking WHY [Re: SCATPACK 1] #1030958
07/12/11 03:47 PM
07/12/11 03:47 PM
U.S.
M
moparniac Offline
master
moparniac  Offline
master
M

U.S.
im gonna say 60thou is way to wide! dont think Ive ever been wider than .030 side to side... also do you set lash using EOIC! I used to use the mopar chart and set lash with my roller stuff then came right back around and checked it using EOIC and couldn't believe how much lash was in there COLD! good luck figuring it out though

Mopar Performance
Re: #2 pushrods keep bending and breaking WHY [Re: moparniac] #1030959
07/12/11 04:49 PM
07/12/11 04:49 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
when you honed the rockers you got metal stuck in the oil feed hole to the pushrod on that rocker

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: #2 pushrods keep bending and breaking WHY [Re: sixpackgut] #1030960
07/12/11 06:52 PM
07/12/11 06:52 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Bending usually isn't an oil problem unless they are getting super hot then you would see them blue from heat,bending is caused by interference or binding.Check all your clearences,valve,springs, rockers,block,head,gaskets.Some common areas are coil bind,retainer to guide,side loads or block/head interference.

Re: #2 pushrods keep bending and breaking WHY [Re: sixpackgut] #1030961
07/12/11 07:34 PM
07/12/11 07:34 PM
TN
S
SCATPACK 1 Offline OP
pro stock
SCATPACK 1  Offline OP
pro stock
S

TN
Quote:

when you honed the rockers you got metal stuck in the oil feed hole to the pushrod on that rocker

I cleaned each rocker arm with brake cleaner after tehy were re honed and double checked all oil holes to be sure they were clear.

Old Geezer Racing
Re: #2 pushrods keep bending and breaking WHY [Re: B G Racing] #1030962
07/12/11 07:37 PM
07/12/11 07:37 PM
detroit area
M
moderncylinder Offline
top fuel
moderncylinder  Offline
top fuel
M

detroit area
if the exh pushrod or rocker gets messesd up to the point of failure, so it will not open th exh valve on that cylinder, the piston will compress the exh gas which should have exited, then the int valve is supposed to open, but with the massive amount of pressure in the cylinder, it will bend the int pushrod or break the int rocker. im sure your pushrod bending issue is the result of the burnt exh pushrod,, you need to find out why there isnt enough oil to the #2 exh pushrod,, once you fix that,, youll be ready to go

Re: #2 pushrods keep bending and breaking WHY [Re: moparniac] #1030963
07/12/11 07:38 PM
07/12/11 07:38 PM
A Banana Republic near you.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

Quote:

im gonna say 60thou is way to wide! dont think Ive ever been wider than .030 side to side... also do you set lash using EOIC! I used to use the mopar chart and set lash with my roller stuff then came right back around and checked it using EOIC and couldn't believe how much lash was in there COLD! good luck figuring it out though

Re: #2 pushrods keep bending and breaking WHY [Re: B G Racing] #1030964
07/12/11 07:39 PM
07/12/11 07:39 PM
TN
S
SCATPACK 1 Offline OP
pro stock
SCATPACK 1  Offline OP
pro stock
S

TN
Quote:

Bending usually isn't an oil problem unless they are getting super hot then you would see them blue from heat,bending is caused by interference or binding.Check all your clearences,valve,springs, rockers,block,head,gaskets.Some common areas are coil bind,retainer to guide,side loads or block/head interference.

BOB
It is possible there is too much side play between the rocker arms on this cylinder and this could be the problem. I am going to try to fix the excessive side clearance and spin it over to make sure there is no interference with anything. I have turned it over slowly with a wrench on the crank bolt but did not see any issues. Thanks for the info.

Old Geezer Racing
Re: #2 pushrods keep bending and breaking WHY [Re: SCATPACK 1] #1030965
07/12/11 07:46 PM
07/12/11 07:46 PM
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

Quote:

Quote:

BOB
It is possible there is too much side play between the rocker arms on this cylinder and this could be the problem. I am going to try to fix the excessive side clearance and spin it over to make sure there is no interference with anything. I have turned it over slowly with a wrench on the crank bolt but did not see any issues. Thanks for the info.

I'd also check the guide clearance and the rocker to pushrod clearance , the rockers walking a little aren't causing the overheating issue .

Re: #2 pushrods keep bending and breaking WHY [Re: SCATPACK 1] #1030966
07/12/11 07:56 PM
07/12/11 07:56 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Quote:

BOB

Check for any witness marks on the pushrods,retainers(top and underside)And check springs at open height and travel to coilbind.

Re: #2 pushrods keep bending and breaking WHY [Re: B G Racing] #1030967
07/12/11 09:59 PM
07/12/11 09:59 PM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
I would think that .060 side clearance is to much. The first thing I would look at is the rocker bore and shaft. If the rocker is binding because it is galling up it will cause your problems. I've been through that years ago with the Isky rockers.

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: #2 pushrods keep bending and breaking WHY [Re: SCATPACK 1] #1030968
07/13/11 02:34 AM
07/13/11 02:34 AM
Aurora, Colorado
451Mopar Offline
master
451Mopar  Offline
master

Aurora, Colorado
The #2 Exhaust rocker is the rocker furthest from the oil supply coming up the #4 cam bearing. You mat want to check #7 exhaust as the oil comes from the #2 cam bearing. Not sure what shafts and hold down hardware your using, but my T&D rockers use a smaller than normal shaft that is really thick walled, so the hold down studs that come with them are machined undersized so oil can flow around them. If I just used a standard bolt it would cut off oil to the rockers. You may also want to slightly enlarge the lower hole where the oil comes up from the cam.
If this is a small block and you are using head studs you should enlarge the bolt hole in the head where the oil comes up from the block.

6727102-sbheadoil.jpg (48 downloads)
Re: #2 pushrods keep bending and breaking WHY [Re: 451Mopar] #1030969
07/13/11 08:36 PM
07/13/11 08:36 PM
Rome, GA
G
GTXX Offline
GTXX  Offline
G

Rome, GA
my guess is that it happening after a cam swap is a coincidence and you have a valve stem/guide seizing.

Re: #2 pushrods keep bending and breaking WHY [Re: GTXX] #1030970
07/13/11 11:12 PM
07/13/11 11:12 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Just for the heck of it put some blueing on the tops of the valves and check the sweep pattern of your rocker arms. We ran into one engine that was bending pushrods and after checking the sweep pattern had to shim the shafts up about .030 and it fixed the problem.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: #2 pushrods keep bending and breaking WHY [Re: pittsburghracer] #1030971
07/14/11 12:09 AM
07/14/11 12:09 AM
Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
GTSDave Offline
master
GTSDave  Offline
master

Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
I just set up my vintage Isky rockers this past weekend. I was going from PRW aluminum rollers to these Iskys that I have had new in the box for as long as I can remember.

I had a problem with the Isky's during setup. What I found was that on #1 and #2 the bottom of the rocker and side shim was hitting the side of the rocker stand not allowing the rocker to center on the valve. The stand starts off narrow and gets wider as it gets closer to the head (452's). It was hitting where it gets wider. It was a very small section at the bottom of the shim/rocker that was touching. I ended up grinding a small bit off of side of the stand to allow the rocker to move far enough over to have the shim butt up against the hold down. Now they are centered on the valve and do not bind.

Also, I didn't use the springs from the kit on the shafts. I used spacers with shims set up at .030 side clearance. I would have rather set them up at .025 for better oil control, but I was a little nervous running it that tight on the street.

I am running a solid roller with .545 gross lift and a very aggressive ramp. The fulcrum bearings in the PRW aluminum roller rockers were starting to come apart and I caught it during reassembly. I had 4 burnt pushrod cups (Smith BRS) and was looking at everything closely when I found the rocker issue. I had probably 5-6K miles on this engine when one of the plenum bolts inside my Wieand tunnel ram decided to back out and go through #1 destroying the piston, breaking the block and all sort of other damage.

I haven't fired it up yet (waiting on my headers to come back from coating) I hope these Isky's are up to the task. They are the original style before Crane bought them out.

If you figure out what the problem is PLEASE post it! I have never run ductile iron rockers on a Roller cam before and quite frankly am worried about it.

-Dave

PLEASE Pray for our brothers and sisters in harms way.

If you are the owner of a GTS us at the GTS Registry www.gtsregistry.com
Re: #2 pushrods keep bending and breaking WHY [Re: GTSDave] #1030972
07/14/11 12:36 AM
07/14/11 12:36 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

I just set up my vintage Isky rockers this past weekend. I was going from PRW aluminum rollers to these Iskys that I have had new in the box for as long as I can remember.

I had a problem with the Isky's during setup. What I found was that on #1 and #2 the bottom of the rocker and side shim was hitting the side of the rocker stand not allowing the rocker to center on the valve. The stand starts off narrow and gets wider as it gets closer to the head (452's). It was hitting where it gets wider. It was a very small section at the bottom of the shim/rocker that was touching. I ended up grinding a small bit off of side of the stand to allow the rocker to move far enough over to have the shim butt up against the hold down. Now they are centered on the valve and do not bind.

Also, I didn't use the springs from the kit on the shafts. I used spacers with shims set up at .030 side clearance. I would have rather set them up at .025 for better oil control, but I was a little nervous running it that tight on the street.

I am running a solid roller with .545 gross lift and a very aggressive ramp. The fulcrum bearings in the PRW aluminum roller rockers were starting to come apart and I caught it during reassembly. I had 4 burnt pushrod cups (Smith BRS) and was looking at everything closely when I found the rocker issue. I had probably 5-6K miles on this engine when one of the plenum bolts inside my Wieand tunnel ram decided to back out and go through #1 destroying the piston, breaking the block and all sort of other damage.

I haven't fired it up yet (waiting on my headers to come back from coating) I hope these Isky's are up to the task. They are the original style before Crane bought them out.

If you figure out what the problem is PLEASE post it! I have never run ductile iron rockers on a Roller cam before and quite frankly am worried about it.

-Dave

How uch spring pressures are you runnimg now?

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: #2 pushrods keep bending and breaking WHY [Re: Cab_Burge] #1030973
07/14/11 12:44 AM
07/14/11 12:44 AM
Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
GTSDave Offline
master
GTSDave  Offline
master

Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
I don't have a way to check it here at the house, but I believe they originally specked out at around 580 open.

I am not enjoying senility as much as I should be.

-Dave

PLEASE Pray for our brothers and sisters in harms way.

If you are the owner of a GTS us at the GTS Registry www.gtsregistry.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2