USA
R
ramairthree Offline OP
enthusiast
ramairthree  Offline OP
enthusiast
R

USA
he 318 in my '74 Roadrunner has flicks of metal on the magnetic oil plug.

I have not pulled the filter and cut in in half yet but don't figure that changing my assesment anyway.

Sound wise the motor has sticky lifters but the shavings were a surprise.

I have been searching and reading up on salvage 5.7 Hemi and junkyard pulled 360 magnum swaps instead of rebuilding or getting an LA 360.

the trend seems to be the most cost effective is to get a 360 magnum with accesories/serpentine system intact, and the appropriate mounts and mods to the PS location/bracket, and an electric fuel pump, LA small block oil pan, an intake, and carb. and the necessary parts to bolt it to the original tranny.

Two questions I am not finding much information on,
is it worth keeping/getting/using the magnum EFI and ECM based on hassle and cost?

is it worth taking on the additional mods and costs of keeping an overdrive tranny that could come with a magnum engine? Still use original console and shifter?

I would lke to here from anyone that has gone this route already and any insight, lessons learned, links I missed, recomendations. Thank you.

Re: Well, flecks of metal on my oil pan plug... [Re: ramairthree] #1029883
07/11/11 08:25 AM
07/11/11 08:25 AM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
I think that you will be very hard pressed to tear an engine apart without seeing some metal on a metalic plug. You know that it isn't bearing material.