ST clair shores MI
M
moretoys Offline OP
top fuel
moretoys  Offline OP
top fuel
M

ST clair shores MI
2005 NON turbo sets a code p0344 cam sensor intermitant.also after running 15 minutes 2000 rpm it bucks and surges.feels like it is hitting the rev limiter.does it driving or in park.Has new cam sensor and magnet,tried a used crank sensor,checked timing belt OK.check 5 v to sensor ok during entire running test.also ground checked ok during test @ cam sensor connector.Runs good from cold to about 15-20 minutes.Generic(snap on) scan tool doesn't tell me much,It does show cam/crank out of sync in data readings.BUT NO codes for that neither.Belt was checked and OK.vehicle has 45,000 mile on it.I do see the injector pulsewith going crazy, dropping to 0 at times.I tried reading the cam sensor using an osciliscope,I'm not very fluent with that,Not sure what I was looking at.possible a computer?or could the rev limiter somehow changed in the ecm settings??

Last edited by moretoys; 06/24/11 10:57 PM.
Re: PT cruiser drivability help [Re: moretoys] #1014704
06/16/11 11:44 PM
06/16/11 11:44 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Online content
I Win
stumpy  Online Content
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
You should go over to ptcrew,com and ask them this. Those guys are great at this stuff. Also when I ran into this on my PT I ended up having to buy a factory cam sensor to cure it. I went through two part store replacements before the factory one worked. Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to see if everything resets?

Re: PT cruiser drivability help [Re: stumpy] #1014705
06/17/11 10:24 AM
06/17/11 10:24 AM
Chino Valley
RodStRace Offline
I Live Here
RodStRace  Offline
I Live Here

Chino Valley
I'd agree; factory part.
Also, I read that the OE plug wires on these are NOT great stuff.

Re: PT cruiser drivability help [Re: stumpy] #1014706
06/17/11 11:12 AM
06/17/11 11:12 AM
ill
D
dennismopar73 Offline
top fuel
dennismopar73  Offline
top fuel
D

ill
oe get there parts from same people ,as do any parts store ,
the fact that you get a bad part can come from anyone any time
most time its not a bad part,sometimes it can be, but not as norm,
as for the pt cruiser they had issues with cam sensor as well as pcm issues as well
most caused by coroding in the wires on the connectors,

Re: PT cruiser drivability help [Re: dennismopar73] #1014707
06/17/11 01:07 PM
06/17/11 01:07 PM
A tad North of Indy
B
Blown71X Offline
super gas
Blown71X  Offline
super gas
B

A tad North of Indy
Quote:

oe get there parts from same people ,as do any parts store

No....in alot of cases they don`t

You can argue all you want, but I do this stuff for a living...27 years of it on only mopars and I have seen it way more than I care to count.
I can tell you that especially cam and crank sensors in the aftermarket for mopars are garbage and I will not even touch a vehicle that has had parts store sensors in it if it comes in with a driveability issue until they are replaced with OE.
It is not worth it to waste my time anymore by chasing a problem caused by a unknown quality part.

Rick

Blown71X V2.0 under construction 71 Cuda 383 4-SPD (maybe for sale) 2010 Challenger B5 Classic
Re: PT cruiser drivability help [Re: Blown71X] #1014708
06/17/11 07:17 PM
06/17/11 07:17 PM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
therocks  Offline
T

Niles , Ohio
Ive been doing it for over 30 years.There are some parts that we get dealer only.I have opened a lot of parts store boxes and had the new parts stamped Mopar, Delco etc.We used a lot of factory sensors and a lot of aftermarket as well.Wells was one we had problems with the most.I have a new water pump from Advanced on my Concord.Opened their box and it had Mopar stamp and Nos on the pump.Rocky

Chrysler Firepower
Re: PT cruiser drivability help [Re: therocks] #1014709
06/18/11 12:54 AM
06/18/11 12:54 AM
owensboro, ky
rallye73 Offline
mopar
rallye73  Offline
mopar

owensboro, ky
I worked at Autozone for six years and I can tell that Wells is a oem supply for alot of parts. I've opened a bunch of Wells boxes only to find factory parts including mopar stamped parts.

Re: PT cruiser drivability help [Re: rallye73] #1014710
06/18/11 09:55 AM
06/18/11 09:55 AM
ill
D
dennismopar73 Offline
top fuel
dennismopar73  Offline
top fuel
D

ill
wells /bwd /blue streak/standard/gp sorenson/intermedo/ac delco
many more sold by the smae co there is no dif in any of them just the 'line up' of part # available thru each dept
thats it
ac delco makes no parts,
motocraft makes no parts,
mopar makes no parts,
and by the way well is just a box name as is these others!!

Re: PT cruiser drivability help [Re: Blown71X] #1014711
06/18/11 10:04 AM
06/18/11 10:04 AM
ill
D
dennismopar73 Offline
top fuel
dennismopar73  Offline
top fuel
D

ill
rick, oe manufactures nothin , not one part, !!
i dont care whos it is !!
these are facts, these parts come in most are reboxed and resold out to various other box names who need the parts more,
mopar is a stamped name on the same water pump ASC is the co
dont car whos box its in !
you can get bad in any box , at anytime, when items are mass produced
the chaces are greater that you will see more defective peices,
most mechanics do live in the past they still believe that that certain auto co actually produce their own parts, when they barley produce the car itself,

Re: PT cruiser drivability help [Re: dennismopar73] #1014712
06/18/11 10:44 AM
06/18/11 10:44 AM
A tad North of Indy
B
Blown71X Offline
super gas
Blown71X  Offline
super gas
B

A tad North of Indy
I`m well aware that NO oe makes their own light parts anymore...this isn`t my first rodeo.

But I guess since you know so much more than me, It is just a figment of my imagination with all the problems I have seen with parts store sensors.
I`ll go back to living in the past and never try to answer a tech question on a new car again

Have a great day.

Rick

Re: PT cruiser drivability help [Re: dennismopar73] #1014713
06/18/11 11:15 AM
06/18/11 11:15 AM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Quote:

these are facts, these parts come in most are reboxed and resold out to various other box names who need the parts more,
most mechanics do live in the past they still believe that that certain auto co actually produce their own parts, when they barley produce the car itself,

If a guy with many years experience working on these things says he sees a lot of problems with aftermarket stuff,I'm going to believe him!(I've seen my share also,30 yr.tech)What I won't do is tell him he's living in the past and doesn't know what he's talking about!!
Next we'll all sit around and wonder why there is no good tech advice here anymore
Well done

Re: PT cruiser drivability help [Re: Dcuda69] #1014714
06/18/11 12:13 PM
06/18/11 12:13 PM
ill
D
dennismopar73 Offline
top fuel
dennismopar73  Offline
top fuel
D

ill
What I won't do is tell him he's living in the past and doesn't know what he's talking about!!
Next we'll all sit around and wonder why there is no good tech advice here anymore
Well done

never said he knew nothin, after 30 years he better know something!!
what i did say, was most mech live in the past thinking that their parts they are getting from the dealer are diffrent than what is being sold in the parts store ,, THAT IS SIMPLY PUT BS , they are the same part, same manufacture,
change is hard for anyone but it has happened ,
as for advice if he or she has their feelings laying on thier shoulder , need new line of work ,
most mechanics that are now comming out of the stable are mear parts changers at best!! and thats what they get taught.
if O E make you feel better , then use O E ,dont come out here and say O E is a diffrent part !!

Re: PT cruiser drivability help [Re: dennismopar73] #1014715
06/18/11 12:41 PM
06/18/11 12:41 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Online content
I Win
stumpy  Online Content
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
The parts may be from the same manufactureres but that doesn't mean the quality is the same for OE and aftermarket sellers.

Re: PT cruiser drivability help [Re: stumpy] #1014716
06/18/11 05:28 PM
06/18/11 05:28 PM
ill
D
dennismopar73 Offline
top fuel
dennismopar73  Offline
top fuel
D

ill
same no dif
you can get bad or good , throw of the dice,
if you get a chance to go and tour the big facility in new jersey
like i did, and talk to reps there , then you become informed consumer
i even got to see the returns that where suppose to be defects,
85 percent( as of 1 year ago) of their returns that where defect where put on the same analisis machine as new devises, and checked out to be normal working pieces,no defect, they where then destroyed , which eventually make the cost of doing buisness cost more.
he manager of the site and field rep said ,there are no seconds,or blems, if found there is a issue it is pulled from the line and the issue gets resolved ,
the most issue they see on the defective returns are misdiagnosed
issue and improper installed issues

Re: PT cruiser drivability help [Re: dennismopar73] #1014717
06/18/11 06:27 PM
06/18/11 06:27 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Online content
I Win
stumpy  Online Content
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
I see they got you to drink the koolaid. What do you think a factory rep is going to say. Did you really expect them to come clean about something like a failure rate. There is a thing called different specs for the same part. One customer wants a part within a certain spec and a different customer may want a different spec. Same basic part but not the same part quality wise. It all depends on what the customer orders.You may have toured a manufacturing plant but I have worked for a couple as an parts inspector.

Re: PT cruiser drivability help [Re: stumpy] #1014718
06/24/11 11:07 PM
06/24/11 11:07 PM
ST clair shores MI
M
moretoys Offline OP
top fuel
moretoys  Offline OP
top fuel
M

ST clair shores MI
I put a new mopar part in and that seemed too fix the problem,vehicle came in with a new aftermarket part.I replaced it with a new aftermarket part.Did not know at the time.(customers sure don't help with info)someone replaced the part and harness,had code,I replaced part not knowing about the replacement,same code BUT ran bad.after checking,wiring,timeing belt etc Just got a bad standard motor product part.I have gotten more defective parts in the past year than previous 5 combined. I have gotten standard parts before and it has chrysler # stamped in the part,I have gotten An ac delco fuel pump for a dodge truck(cheaper and better warranty than a carter @ the time)Opened the box and it had a carter part inside.Some brands I won't even consider.standard green box-junk,wells-always a come back.the list is getting longer.various lower $$ front end parts don't take grease when installed.(love doing that twice) Thanks,oem part solved this issue.

Re: PT cruiser drivability help [Re: Dcuda69] #1014719
06/25/11 06:15 AM
06/25/11 06:15 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Quote:

Quote:

If a guy with many years experience working on these things says he sees a lot of problems with aftermarket stuff,I'm going to believe him!(I've seen my share also,30 yr.tech)What I won't do is tell him he's living in the past and doesn't know what he's talking about!!
Well done

I have been on this board for at least 10 years and I have talked to and seen alot of Rick's post. We have discussed problems before as we have both been Mopar dealer techs for years. And I can tell you he is no parts replacing mechanic he is a tech and knows what he is talking about. I can tell as we have spoke to each other before and when I talk to a tech who actually knows what the voltage readings should be on all 3 wires of a cam or crank sensor then I know this guy test the circuits to see what is bad. Most techs I talk to dont even know how many of the parts actually work so they cant test the circuit they just try a part but that is not Rick as he is a tech. I have to agree with him as I have had my share of bad aftermarket parts over the years. They may be better now but OEM and aftermarket have not always been the same part. I can tell you for sure as I found out on a Mopar ECU ign box a few years back. The ECU was blue like a factory one but it had no Mopar label on it but it sure looked like a Mopar ECU. Anyway the internal circuits were different as I found out after testing the internal pick-up coil circuit on the ECU and the factory one would only work hooked up the correct way and the aftermarket would not. My point being the OEM and aftermarket are not always the same part. I have seen it myself and I have also seen Rick give alot of good tech advise on here and respect his opinion.
Oh and I think I have you both beat as I have been full time tech for 37 years and am fully certified and a Mopar master tech. Just have some respect for other techs opinions as you might learn something. Ron

Re: PT cruiser drivability help [Re: 383man] #1014720
06/25/11 08:38 AM
06/25/11 08:38 AM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
therocks  Offline
T

Niles , Ohio
Ron I agree with you.Ive had new parts bad both OE and aftermarket.WE usually use aftermarket as most times quality is good.But some stuff we strictly went dealer.Standard we used a lot and really had no problems.But like I said Ive had parts bad new from both after market and OE.Rocky

Chrysler Firepower