06/01/11 06:47 PM
06/01/11 06:47 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
One thing you all have to remember about "the good old days" when you could see Sox & Martin racing Da Grump at your home track, there were only about 4 national events a year, and everyone made their money match racing. Now, there's 24 or so NHRA national events and nobody really has time or money to match race anymore, and tracks can't afford to pay them anyway. Also, in the '70's if you wanted to see Big Daddy on TV you waited 6 weeks for the last race to be shown on 'Wide World of Sports', not same day coverage like now.

I've raced at RT66 since the day it opened. I am still amazed when I run into "gearheads" around the area that don't even know the track exists.

I asked the marketing manager at the track once why they don't advertise their bracket program since they are in the middle of 8 million or so people. He flatly stated that "It was just not worth the expense to advertise".

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: dOc !] #1003637
06/01/11 06:48 PM
06/01/11 06:48 PM
On the run…
BloFish Offline
I Live Here
BloFish  Offline
I Live Here

On the run…
The future of Drag Racing...

only time will tell

It really doesn't matter whether you win or lose…
as long as you look good doing it!

‘65 A100
‘69 ‘Cuda
‘73 Vega GT
‘06 Mega Cab
‘14 Mercedes SLK
Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: dOc !] #1003638
06/01/11 06:53 PM
06/01/11 06:53 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

I have painted everything from gun stocks to refrigerators to pay for racing.

MOST people I know MAKE MONEY racing. But if that is what works-for-you ....go for it.

Doc you are so clueless it makes me

Do you even know anyone currently racing? and who are they and what kind of money are they making?

BTW I made my money before even getting into the LP business, years ago.

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: dOc !] #1003639
06/01/11 07:41 PM
06/01/11 07:41 PM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
Quote:

Quote:

I have painted everything from gun stocks to refrigerators to pay for racing.

MOST people I know MAKE MONEY racing. But if that is what works-for-you ....go for it.

Doc, you don't know very many people do you. As they say, You know how to make a small fortune in drag racing? Start out with a large one.

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: Challenger 1] #1003640
06/01/11 08:06 PM
06/01/11 08:06 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOc !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

Doc you are so clueless it makes me

Do you even know anyone currently racing? and who are they and what kind of money are they making?

Chally ...YEAH I said CHALLY .... only YOU that fell into a money-pit of LPG reselling could have financed a money-losing race operation like you had.

And as far as me knowing people who DO make money ? ... yes I do. Do they make money like if they put those efforts into their employment or their business ? ...NO.

But they DO come out with a NET PROFIT at the end of the day.

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: TC@HP2] #1003641
06/01/11 08:08 PM
06/01/11 08:08 PM
Alberta, Canada
451Guy Offline
mopar
451Guy  Offline
mopar

Alberta, Canada
There have been some excellent points brought up in this thread about the current state of Drag Racing and I agree with the majority of them. I raced every year from 1989 till 2007. I raced as much as I could and I sacrificed other things in my life to make it happen. Over the years I was very successful and I was fortunate to win more races than I can remember as well as multiple championships in various classes.

I "retired" after the 2007 season because for me the fun was gone. We have all heard from our parents about how great it was back in the old days and when it comes to racing I feel that it's true! Back in the day it seemed that we were all on a level playing field. Most of the cars were home built, 1000 hp crate engines were a pipe dream, a really fast bracket dragster ran in the eights and if you had a 10 second door car you were something. Everyone started racing their street car and the majority of the race cars were built in the garage. There was a respect for the racers that came before us and when the "old guys" spoke we all listened. When I started if you had a trailer and not a tow bar you were the man. If the trailer had a tool box on it you were approaching god like status! When you went to the gas station to fill the tow vehicle up for your journey there was always someone interested in what you were doing and where you were going. People asked questions and on more than one occasion I had a spectator come up to me in the pits and tell me that they had seen my car on the trailer at the gas station or in front of the grocery store. It peaked their interest, took the TIME to look into it and were at the track checking it out for the first time. In those days a regular guy could walk through the pits and think with a few improvements I could bring out my street car and maybe with some practice be competitive. Not any more!!! Not in this day and age of Bickel chassis, mountain motors, Toterhomes, Stacker Trailers, multiple car teams, uplinks to the NASA weather station, Data recorders. The young kids that are racing today are getting into daddy's ex pro stock car the day after they get their drivers license and most of them have no respect for the car they are in, the trouble it can cause or the racer in the other lane. When an "old timer" speaks they sluff them off. My crew chief (normally Mom or Dad - aka the pocket book!) has to work on the car. I have to answer a text or post something stupid on twitter. The reason drag racing is dying is because when average folk go to a drag race they are smart enough to realize that they have no chance to compete if they need all the fancy stuff. And as you walk through the pits at any track, take a look around. What is sitting there is the reason new people are not getting involved. That and the fact that no one knows what is in the white box on the highway or where it is going!!!

I agree that there are other factors, The economy, the increasing cost etc. However I am a firm believer that if the fun is still there racers will find a way to participate at some level. The opportunity maybe different than it was, but if the fun is still there most will still find a way.

In my case I am still looking for the fun! I think someone may have run off with it in their stacker or driven over it in their Bickle GTO.

Thanx 451 Guy

512 cu in 71 Demon Super Street Car - NO LONGER - Broke Crank
Best ET 9.57 @ 139.96

451 cu in Pump Gas - 71 Demon Super Street Car
Best ET 9.99 @ 136.80

512 cu in 69 Charger R/T
Best ET 11.39 @ 118.11

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: rowin4] #1003642
06/01/11 08:19 PM
06/01/11 08:19 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
dOc !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

Doc, you don't know very many people do you. As they say, You know how to make a small fortune in drag racing? Start out with a large one.

Steve .... SOME people I know who do-this just as a hobby ....not many of those make money. But the ones that put a good effort into it ... YES they do. And NO .. none of these people stay in 200$ hotel rooms and have 50k$ race rigs and 100k$ tow rigs.

And I will say again .... IF these people were to put those efforts into their job or business .. they WOULD have made more money than with their race-efforts.

One PERFECT example ...and a past customer .... Bob Marshall .... makes decent money racing. But if he devoted THAT TIME into his recovery-biz ....

He would be muchO farther ahead ....financially.

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: dOc !] #1003643
06/01/11 08:34 PM
06/01/11 08:34 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

Steve .... SOME people I know who do-this just as a hobby ....not many of those make money. But the ones that put a good effort into it ... YES they do. And NO .. none of these people stay in 200$ hotel rooms and have 50k$ race rigs and 100k$ tow rigs.

And I will say again .... IF these people were to put those efforts into their job or business .. they WOULD have made more money than with their race-efforts.

One PERFECT example ...and a past customer .... Bob Marshall .... makes decent money racing. But if he devoted THAT TIME into his recovery-biz ....

He would be muchO farther ahead ....financially.

Even the PROs dont make any money at it... if they
didnt have sponsors they would fold in less than a year...
and the smaller teams have folded

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1003644
06/01/11 08:44 PM
06/01/11 08:44 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
dOc !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

Even the PROs dont make any money at it... if they
didnt have sponsors they would fold in less than a year...
and the smaller teams have folded

In this present economy ? ...

The PROS ? ...some of them have HUGE overheads and very lavish lifestyles. And SPONSORS ? ... that is part of a racing operation and CAN BE a major factor in making it a profitable operation.

And I say again ...on my example that most everyone here knows of .... Bob Marshall.

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: dOc !] #1003645
06/01/11 08:46 PM
06/01/11 08:46 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
A local track has welcome the Grudge-Racers even paying them a purse to race this year.And has started filling the stands both sides of the track every week. Maybe its like they say History repeats itself. For some reason spectators seem to like the Grudge-Races.There will be a good # of race-cars for the Heads-Up Index and other classes,but the spectators don't start showing up till 6-7 when the Grudge Racing starts unless its the 1 Sunday a month that is for the Grudge Racers.

Is Grudge Racing going to be the future of Drag Racing?

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1003646
06/02/11 01:03 AM
06/02/11 01:03 AM
Missouri
C
convertriple Offline
super gas
convertriple  Offline
super gas
C

Missouri
Quote:

A local track has welcome the Grudge-Racers even paying them a purse to race this year.And has started filling the stands both sides of the track every week. Maybe its like they say History repeats itself. For some reason spectators seem to like the Grudge-Races.There will be a good # of race-cars for the Heads-Up Index and other classes,but the spectators don't start showing up till 6-7 when the Grudge Racing starts unless its the 1 Sunday a month that is for the Grudge Racers.

Is Grudge Racing going to be the future of Drag Racing?

I hope so, thats the best experience IMO.

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: convertriple] #1003647
06/02/11 08:14 AM
06/02/11 08:14 AM
Chicken coop
dustergirl340 Offline
Chicken Little
dustergirl340  Offline
Chicken Little

Chicken coop
Milan started doing monthy grudge racing a couple years ago (they call it No ET Nationals) and it is a hit. Some of the stuff that runs is crazy.

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1003648
06/02/11 09:22 AM
06/02/11 09:22 AM
oh
julian2007 Offline
super stock
julian2007  Offline
super stock

oh
heads up or put a number on it?Either way you don't stand much of a chance,We can makey fast (spray spray)or we can makey run the number(brains brains)Or we could have a beer drinking contest or maybe a steak grilling contest.That's really all I know how to do drag racing,drinking and grilling.IT REALLY SUCKS TO BE ME

All kidding aside BRING IT DON'T SING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God made cold beer,good friends,hot ladies and race cars don't spit in his face by pi$$ing and moaning about how life sucks!!!
Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: Jeepmon] #1003649
06/02/11 10:42 AM
06/02/11 10:42 AM
NC
chris3 Offline
mopar
chris3  Offline
mopar

NC
Boy this is a post that I have heard discussed at great length recently. By the way I am one of the "old timers" no one will listen to. The economy is an issue for everyone, car owner, racer, sponsor and track owner. The price of fuel is reflected in everything, ordered any parts recently and looked at the "fuel surcharge."

We have a car and are beginning the construction of a clone of our 1970's car. We are a racing family my son and I drive at different races. My grandsons both have jobs to do and we all have fun. When a 4 year old is upset because Pops forgot to bring the water sprayer and he could not get his job done, no folks this is not just for old timers. It is the type of racing that will bring the spectators and the cars. The older, nostagia type, cars are what spectators of all ages seem to want to see. Someone mentioned Pinks All Out. We raced our first Pinks race at Z-Max Dragway. The entry fee for the car for two days was $60.00 crew entry was $25.00 for the week-end. We camped, and I mean tents in the pit area, some sleeped inside their trailer on the floor. Friday night everyone was cooking and having a good time. The stands and the pits were jammed to capacity everyday, all day. Some "old time" racers at the race were talking on Friday night and one you will all know says "boys this is the way it use to be, you remember match racing at some little small town track and the place just jammed."

The track owners just do not want to spend the time and effort to promote their track and races. Where I live I can be at 10 dragstrips in 2 hours. I had my race car on display at the International Auto Expo and had many people who were interested in drag racing, watched it on Tv and did not know there were operating tracks that close. These tracks are tracks that had races featuring all of the big names in Stock, Superstock and Funny Car. The track owners, managers, seem to believe that all they have to do is post something on the internet and everyone will go there to see what is going on. It ain't going to happen. Promote the races.

Talking about money and drag racing I will close this with a quote from Mr. Ronnie Sox. We were at the Henderson Reunion and were discussing drag racing now and "the good old days." He said "all the racers today have all the Sponsors that they have to answer to. Be at the track, win and promote their products. We raced with what we had and could build ourself. We towed with the family truck on an open trailer. We eat balongna sandwiches and canned beans for lunch."

Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: dOc !] #1003650
06/02/11 10:52 AM
06/02/11 10:52 AM
oh
julian2007 Offline
super stock
julian2007  Offline
super stock

oh
Make no mistake I make money at the track that's where 80 % of my customers come from.when I am at the track I do my best to win and My car has paid for half of its self in two years but I will not make it into a job I already have two of those.Racing Is vacation to me, a place to unwind and hang out with true friends and there is no way money making at the track is going to get in the way of my family and I having a truly great time!I use to get mad and throw my helmet when something bad happened in a race, cuss out the car and my self because I was trying to make money racing and that was the worst thing I ever did.It sucked for everyone around me and it was no fun!After we changed are efforts to going to the track for fun instead of business My wife and kids cant wait to get there and neither can I.I her allot about John labouse making money at the track like over 50,000 a year but I never here him say how much fun he is having all I ever herd him say is all the travel time sucks!!!Now don't mopart's this all up and say I bad mouthed John I have all the respect for him He is a hell of a racer And I will admit he is way better than me but I challenge him and anyone else to have a better time than me!!!

Last edited by julian2007; 06/02/11 11:15 AM.
Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: joedust451] #1003651
06/02/11 11:02 AM
06/02/11 11:02 AM
Watertown, WI
MikeyT Offline
master
MikeyT  Offline
master

Watertown, WI
Quote:

Our track has "midnight drags" on Sat once a month, they get a good 200 cars through the gate, Races like these are nice, just your basic grudge racing, you can run as fast as you want in the 1/4 mile, but only with street tires or DRs or ET streets, no slicks in the 1/4, you can race for $$$/girlfriends/wives whatever, anything goes .

LOL, I love that idea! I can see it now. Hey I'll race you for that 5'11 inch Beauty with legs! Gives a whole new meaning to trophy wife!

Mike

1969 Dodge Dart Swinger
Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: julian2007] #1003652
06/02/11 11:13 AM
06/02/11 11:13 AM
Seaford, Va
Kindafast Offline
top fuel
Kindafast  Offline
top fuel

Seaford, Va
Quote:

Make no mistake I make money at the track that's where 80 % of my customers come from.when I am at the track I do my best to win but I will not make it into a job I already have two of those.Racing Is vacation to me, a place to unwind and hang out with true friends and there is no way money making at the track is going to get in the way of my family and I having a truly great time!I use to get mad and throw my helmet when something bad happened in a race, cuss out the car and my self because I was trying to make money racing and that was the worst thing I ever did.It sucked for everyone around me and it was no fun!After we changed are efforts to going to the track for fun instead of business My wife and kids cant wait to get there and neither can I.I her allot about John labouse making money at the track like over 50,000 a year but I never here him say how much fun he is having all I ever herd him say is all the travel time sucks!!!Now don't mopart's this all up and say I bad mouthed John I have all the respect for him He is a hell of a racer And I will admit he is way better than me but I challenge him and anyone else to have a better time than me!!!

Man that sounds just like me in the past. My wife strongly suggested I calm down or she ain't gong with me anymore. I don't win many rounds anymore but have a blast when we go to the strip. Ask any of my friends where the party is when we are there.

6.50 @105.26
Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: Kindafast] #1003653
06/02/11 11:17 AM
06/02/11 11:17 AM
oh
julian2007 Offline
super stock
julian2007  Offline
super stock

oh
That's the way to do it brother!!!Maybe we will meet ant the track some day and Show them how its done!!!

God made cold beer,good friends,hot ladies and race cars don't spit in his face by pi$$ing and moaning about how life sucks!!!
Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: julian2007] #1003654
06/02/11 12:25 PM
06/02/11 12:25 PM
Walton's Mountain, Pa
Steve1118 Offline
master
Steve1118  Offline
master

Walton's Mountain, Pa
Someone earlier mentioned that there is no time for match races now because of the National events. That's the point...there is too doggone many. As a result, to see the heavies one has to drive 300 miles and spend 500 bucks, kill the weekend. Back then, the heavies came to the local track, to where the folks were. They marketed themselves and the local tracks on a local level, and created interest in drag racing. ESPN coverage at 11pm on Sunday night just don't do it.

I mentioned to Dave Hakim once that if I was in a position of power, I would place one of the Drag Paks in the hands of someone that would tour the country, dealerships, and local drag races. Maybe get a Cobra Jet to do the same thing...match race maybe?

The professional bracket guys with all the geegaws have hurt it, as well. If you are a kid getting started, these guys eat you for lunch. And, if you do upset one of the sharks, which can happen, he just buys back in and gets you later. So, if you are a twenty year old kid spending your money racing an old 318 Volare, what's the use? You get discouraged and find something else to do. The brackets these days have created an environment where they eat their young...

The Nostalgia deal, which is what we do, is really interesting in that there seems to be an awful lot of young guys getting into it. The old cars, the old way of doing things, seem to be magic, and there is a message in there for those who want to see it.

This sport is at a crossroads, to my mind. It's time to get back to its roots and make it fun again.

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com
Re: The future of Drag Racing... [Re: julian2007] #1003655
06/02/11 03:14 PM
06/02/11 03:14 PM
Seaford, Va
Kindafast Offline
top fuel
Kindafast  Offline
top fuel

Seaford, Va
Quote:

That's the way to do it brother!!!Maybe we will meet ant the track some day and Show them how its done!!!

That would be cool to meet up at the track. If I ain't having fun it ain't my fault.

6.50 @105.26
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5