Quote:

The lower heat gives less distortion and maintains the metal integrity while the circular pattern provides the penetration.

I hate to agrue but as a State certified Union Welder some of these statements I cant agree with...
I would of coarse need to look at the weld but I larger weld bead is simply that more weld. Penetration is more or less controlled by heat range... Fact. Now the speed at which one moves will help "under cut" which is when the weld is not held long enough on the sides. Your always pausing on the sides with a Mig and move across the center faster and hold on the sides... Same with arc welding... This keeps the bead from humping up, ties in the sides good just lays down better. Heat dictates everything, how fast you move, Idea is to weld hot as you can and still control the bead in a uniform fashion.
I still dont under stand why the sanction body doesnt allow stick/arc welding of the cage. Done properly will be just as strong, actually stronger than MIG.

Last edited by Bob_Coomer; 05/25/11 11:18 PM.

[color:"red"]65 Hemi Belvedere coming soon [/color]
[color:"#00FF00"]557" Indy engine 1.07 60ft 144mph in the 8th 2100 lbs package [/color]