Quote:

So far what has happened is we finally got someone here who actually worked at the plant who could tell us what the hell those inspection codes were for and if all or some got them. So can you please throw smaller stones now

Guys - let me clarify something here, I stated I have worked in an assembly plant for almost 30 years, however I did not say it was the Lynch Road Plant. I apologize if any of you got the wrong impression.

However, having been to over a dozen different assembly plants during my career, and being in a position to be associated with some of the processes and procedures concerning inspection buyoff as related to my Department's Quality Issues. I have found that most Plants have a similiar Inspection/Buyoff procedure. Therefore I feel confident about my assessment that the Punches on the Data Plates are Buyoff Stamps for Repair/Inspection Work.

I also have a theory based on the scheduling of vehicles and the reasons that the order numbers and VIN numbers can be so drastically different within the same carline. Let me elaborate:

Scheduled build date of 426 on the A12 cars.

As most of us know the Actual build Dates varied. (Could have been July or August of '69 as an example)
I would presume that as the A12 orders were consolidated and as orders were confirmed they were assigned a "Scheduled" build date of 426. This would mean that the order number was assigned at that time, but the VIN number didn't get assigned until the Actual Production of the vehicle began. What this would create is (for example)

A12 Superbee with a 426 build date and VIN # of 306999 and an order # of 922697 (actually built in July '69). (Not an actual car # just an example)

Compared to a 383 Superbee with a 626 build date and VIN # of 295555 (Earlier VIN number) and an order # 955252 (Later Order number)(actually built in June '69)(Not an actual car # just an example)

The Order Number for the A12 car is earlier yet the VIN Number is Later than the 383 car. This could have happened due to the A12 Orders being consolidated and "Batched" together and assigned the same build date. Yet not scheduled for production until all material requirements (Special Parts) were met, and build restrictions complied with.

I base this theory on my experience in scheduling Special Equipment Order (SEO) Paint Jobs through our Assembly Plant. We'll get the order and they will be scheduled ie. in February, but we may hold them until we reach a predetermined minimum number of units of the same color before they are released to production. This is done as a cost savings measure so we can "Batch Paint" the SEO paint colors. It says us money on materials and labor for paint system fill and cleaning. When you deal with a system that has a mix tank volume of 100 gallons and a Paint line volume of 75 gals. This equates to Major Cost savings doing it that way. We also require an 8 week "Lead Time" to get the actual Color produced (In our case) by DuPont. Therefore the order number isn't always sequential relative to the VIN Number car to car.

In addition there are certain "Build Restrictions" within each Dapartment in the Plant. Some are based on option content, Color etc. and these impact the volume of specific options that a plant can build per hour. So I would imagine that the A12 cars didn't go down the Assembly Line "Back to Back" even though they may have sequential VIN numbers.

I welcome any comments or Data that would confirm/dispell my theory on this.

And BTW I do have several Mopars included in my Family is an R4 Superbee A12 car. Interesting note on it is it has a build date of 426 yet the original seats had a metal tag dated (I believe) late July of 1969. This was the assembly date tag for the seats. We have the original Data Plate and the top portion of the Original Build Sheet (Incomplete and in sad shape, but we can read the VIN & Order #.) Car doesn't have any of the original drivetrain. But it's an A12 Car!!!

Have a Great Day,

Bogusracer

Last edited by JohnRR; 01/21/04 07:49 AM.