Here goes... We have a 1998 durango, 5.2, 4wd, 44re transmission. The original transmission went out at about 150,000 miles. Went to advanced and ordered a new reman transmission. $1600 later we got the transmission and hooked back up to the engine. Filled it up partway and started it up and put into neutral, found out the case was cracked so we took it out and sent it back. New transmission showed up (january) and now I believe this one is starting to go.

When shifted into reverse or manual low, the durango will shudder, drop to about 300 rpm then it'll die, about 75% of the time. If you shift into drive or 2, everything operates like normal. At one point in time the o2 sensor failed throwing a code and got that fixed but the problem still exists.

The transmission fluid level is fine, not burnt smelling or discolored (still cherry red). From what I've been told, the problem is within the reverse/low clutch pack. Could that be the cause of this? The transmission is still under warranty but I doubt I will send it back in for a new one seeing as this is the second one I've received.