Has anyone tried to retrofit a tilt steering column into a classic that never had one?
I modified a 77 Cordoba Tilt steering column and put it into the FrankenDuster. I like having the tilt feature, but with that car, the steering wheel is too close to my chest. The Charger steering wheel sits closer to the dash than the Duster model did, so I am curious if it would be a better fit.
With the Duster, the under dash fitment is very close to a stock column. On the engine side, there is a short section that protrudes from the firewall, then it stops at a rag joint. The section that connects to the steering box is traditional MOPAR, but then the solid shaft is welded to a steel "plate" that bolts to the rag joint. I had to shorten the lower section to fit into the more compact "A" chassis.
I have never seen a production Mopar tilt steering in a classic. I have seen the Flaming River and Ididit columns though.
The Chryslers were available with tilt columns, but I don't remember seeing them in any muscle Mopar. Has anyone?