So Steve the tech guy at Unisteer tells me to check the length of travel on the rack and if it's not 5 - 5.5 inches then I have an "early" kit and they'll replace the rack.
After unloading the suspension as told and measuring with a plumb bob I've confirmed 5 inches of travel on both sides. Back on the phone with Steve and he tells me that's all there is. I asked about a rack with the extra 1/2 inch of travel as I'm still an inch away from the factory stops on the steering arms and he tells me if it's between 5 and 5.5 inches that's all there is. I asked for clarification as I'm still confused... I'm in the auto industry and I deal in tolerances in milimeters but if I understand correctly the tolerances of their steering kits are half a F&^%ing inch?! He comes up with a halfhearted apology and says about half his customers like them and half don't. Wow a 50% satisfaction rating and they're still selling these things? They should be ashamed of themselves. Yeah I bought it a month after they were released... probably should have waited. Hindsight is 20-20. Anyone got a column shift / power column from a '70 B-Body they wanna sell? Got to find one so I can put the original steering back in the car.