Fellas -

I have a flatbed car trailer, 2008 model, that about 23' from tail to hitch and is supposed to weigh 1,800 pounds (5,000+ pounds GVW when loaded). It's dual axle trailer with electric brakes on a single axle. I got pulled over in MD this past weekend and the cop said that he thought I needed breakaway brakes, which was news to me.

Trailer is used frequently for moving cars across several states - right now, I have cars in Ohio (resto), Virginia (current house), North Carolina (paint jail), and bringing one to Columbus, GA (new house) this weekend. Tow vehicle is 2003 Excursion with 7.3.

In doing a search, here is what I believe to be true - if your trailer is required to have brakes by state law, then it is required to have breakaway brakes. I've only been questioned about this once, but I don't want to thumb my nose at the law and invite more scrutiny.

Anyone have thoughts on the above? Any ideas on how much it costs to have breakaway brakes installed? I'm a good mechanic, but might let a pro handle this one.

On a related note, should I go to 4 wheel brakes? Any ideas on how much $ I would spend here?

Here's something I copied from a horse website:

"Thirty one states require brakes on at least one axle (2-wheel brakes) on trailers over 3000 lbs. GVW and 11 states require brakes
on both axles (4-wheel brakes) on trailers over 3000 lbs. GVW. In addition, 3 of those states that require brakes on trailers over 3000 lbs., require 4 wheel brakes on trailers over 4,000 lbs. (No matter how light your trailer is, when it is loaded with horses it will weigh 3000 lbs. or more!) The remaining states that do not require brakes per se have regulations that require the ability to stop the combination without sway from a specified speed over a specified distance."

Thanks,

Scott

Please Check Out My YouTube Channel for Vintage Musclecar and Truck Rescues and Builds -- https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE/videos