Quote:

If the engine does not ping, then the advance is probably not too much AND the engine is not running too hot. I WOULD NOT go to a cooler stat until you resolve fan/ shroud/ radiator issues.

I don't know what you mean by "flexible line" but if you mean "rubber hose" I'd re-think.

ONE BIG THING I believe in is a fuel "vapor return" system. You can easily set these up on the later cars which had a carbon can because they have at least one extra vent line coming up front. Wix filters (and others) make a steel inline filter in either 5/16 or 3/8 line with a built in 1/4" return port. You install the filter either vertically or horizontally with the 1/4 line UP and plumb that line back to the tank. This returns a constant supply of fuel through a SMALL ORIFICE and helps keep the fuel cooler, as well as returning any vapor starting to form.

THESE WORK, and more guys should use 'em, especially with today's fuel. First one I ever saw was on my '70 440sixpack.

If you are running a factory mechanical pump, ABSOLUTELY any restrictions in the rear WILL cause vapor lock problems, because the pump is "sucking" from the tank. THIS CAUSES fuel to be lower pressure coming to the pump and when it is heated it enhances the tendency to boil and cause vapor.

(Just like a coke--they don't bubble in the bottle--they bubble when the pressure is LOWERED)

No, the motor is not pinging, and runs great as long as I run premium (93 here). Tried running some 87 once to see if it would, and that was a big no go.

The fan shroud is a definate, hopefully in the next two weeks. And I wont touch the thermostat until after that is added. It was fine without a shroud while it was cool, but the warming weather is not so nice.

Yes, I meant rubber line when I say "flexible hose". Thats the only thing I can run. Why would you tell me to reconsider running the rubber fuel line? Dont have the tools or the experience trying to bend up hard fuel lines. How would that be done? Would I have to run new line all the way from the tank, or can I cut the stock line, connect to it and re-route.

Im not sure about the fuel vapor return line. I have the stock fuel tank vent system hooked up, but thats it.

Yes its a stock replacement mechanical pump. With me seeing the granules getting past the pump and filtered in the clear filter, should I pull the pump and clean it, or replace it, or just leave it? Do they sell a higher volume mechanical fuel pump thats not a 3/8 fitting?

And nothing would be touched before I re-route the fuel line this weekend and see how it responds. So why should I not use the rubber fuel line?

roe

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG