Hey guys,

Just wanted to ask about measuring pushrod length with hydraulic lifters. I am running a hydraulic roller cam and when trying to set the pushrod length with my adjustable pushrod, the lifter would bottom out (they are not pumped up, there is no oil in them). I am not running a checker spring, which I know is one of the answers to this. I was thinking of just allowing it to bottom out and then add the .030-.040" or so to the overall length of the pushrod to compensate for the preload...has anybody done this before? I was also planning on possibly removing the guts out of the lifter and filling it with small nuts or flat washers stacked up, reinstall the top cover and retainer spring, so that to make it act like a solid lifter, and then check my findings on length compared to with just letting the lifter bottom out.

What have you guys done or suggest? I know a checking spring or possibly a junk solid lifter would be ideal, but i dont have access to the springs or lifters, plus my hydraulic roller lifter is a good deal taller than a comparable solid lifter if i had to buy one

What have you guys done that works? I'd like to do this tommorow so I can order up some pushrods and get this motor completely together