Quote:

No if it is internally regulated you have no need for the external regulator

I just got back from their @#mn poor website, and I don't believe you are correct. The only instructions for the 7509 series (if that is what he has) shoes a "field grounding kit" intended to convert isolated field alternators to use the 69/ earlier regulator.

The fact that after he bypassed the regulator, it is obviously overcharging tells me he needs an external regulator.

I would say your original problem is either a voltage drop issue in the harness/ bulkhead connector, a regulator grounding problem, or a defective regulator

Hook up your regulator as you had it and try the following tests:

Start the car, get the battery "up," and make these tests at simulated "medium cruise" engine RPM. Make the tests once with all accessories off, then again with lights, heater, or other loads on

With the engine running "med. cruise" take your meter and stick one probe directly onto the battery negative post. Stick the other directly onto the regulator mount flange. You are looking for a very low voltage reading, zero is perfect. Anything over .2V (two tenths of a volt) is too much. If it is over this, improve the ground between the battery and the regulator

Now check the hot side of the harness. What you are checking for here is the voltage drop from the battery, through the bulkhead, harness, to the connector at the ign switch, through the switch, back out the connector, harness, bulkhead, and to the regulator.

Stick one probe directly onto the battery positive post, the other as close as you can to the regulator IGN run (dark blue, normally) terminal. Probably the ignition ballast resistor connection is close as you'll get.

As with the ground, you are looking for a very low reading, and anything over .2V is too much. You could have an ignition switch going TU, a loose connector, or problems with the bulkhead connector, or other harness problems.

Also go over your main heavy charging wire, check for poor connections, heat, melting, etc.

If none of this cures the pulsing problem, try a different "high quality" regulator.