Quote:

I'll give the solenoid a try and look at the cooler plugs. I'm thinking the plugs may be the trick.

I'm running Edelbrock heads and use the recommended Champion plug. Can anyone recommend another plug for Edelbrock heads?

Also, the timing is set perfectly on this engine now. I hate messing with it because, yes the idle is fairly picky even though the cam is a MP 280/.474

Now the pipes are pretty darn black and never really can get the "battle ship gray" as my Dad called it back in the day. I do tend to turn the ignition off in gear...especially around a car show crowd..LOL!

Thanks again!

I've run that exact cam now since 1988 or so in my stock stroke 340s. Same cam in it's third engine. I run 17-18 degrees at about 700 RPMs at idle. I have driven this engine all over the country with jetting and timing changes. From sea level in Key West Fla to driving it to the top of Peaks Pike(14000+ ft! she had to be lean to be mean to make it up!), to driving it for 5 hours at a time at 95 degree heat at 7500 feet in the Serria mountains near Reno Nv. I've drove that cam alot. Great cam imo.

How much timing do you have at idle and what RPMs is your motor idling at? I doubt your timing is right for your engine, don't be afraid to mess with it. It holds the key. I can tell you that a stock or unaltered MP dist won't work without modifications.

Oh yea did I mention Bonneville, drove it 42 miles total on the salt on another 95 degee day. 5 miles of it was at about 120 MPH, your tuneup better be right if it's gonna survive that kind of driving.

Speaking of pipes, here's my pipes after running it at Bonneville. I run the car much leaner when I go out west with it verse when I'm at home. There's about 6500+ feet difference, so the tuneup changes. I ran more timing at higher altitudes also and have to turn down the idle even more.
Not too bad for guessing on the tuneup from home.
BTW it has never dieseled, not even close. It's 10.2-1 motor that is run on 91-93oct unleaded gas.