I just got the Charger fired up and running after having the motor out for a light hone, new rings and bearings. While trying to fire it up, I had trouble getting spark. EVERYthing was fine before the teardown. This has happened before. I've had ECMs and distributors fail to work after swapping cams. I have no idea why either. I was lucky this time that I pre oiled the motor and was reusing the same cam and lifters or excessive start up wear would have certainly occurred.
This time I had to replace both the ECM AND the Mopar Performance distributor with units I tested on another car. The distributor is from a motorhome so the advance curve is surely ALL wrong for this motor. My choices now are to either fix the MP distributor (since it was recurved to my engine combo) or ditch everything and step up to an MSD system. My questions are: 1)How reliable are the MSD systems? 2)What are the prices of a complete system with the basics such as Rev limiters ? 3) Is there any power to be gained if both systems are functioning correctly?
I think I know the answer to #3, but I am interested in having total reliability rather than power. I could call Summit, but I really like to hear from people that do NOT have a financial motive.
Finally....If you are running the MSD system, where did you hide the massive box? Inside the wheelwell? Between the grille and radiator? I don't want the engine bay MORE cluttered than it already is.