Quote:

Well, up in snow belt, you are safer with front and rear open diffs, than a good limited slip in rear which can quickly kick the rear sideways on you, and I'm NOT referring to off pavement driving where you need as many wheels driving as possible, that's all.

Well, now that makes a bit of sense. However, I disagree that an LSD is an issue even up north. Firstly, if you need 4wd in order to drive in the snow, then what you really need is driving lessons. Next, if you can't keep your rear from kicking out with an LSD and slippery pavement, see number one. Finally, with open diffs front and rear why even bother paying the costs of 4wd? While I may now live in West Texas, I grew up and learned to drive in the north where snow was plentiful, driving used muscle cars with zero traction control other than your brain and foot. No chains, no snow tires. Just a shovel, some sand and a couple of expanded metal pieces in the trunk to extricate myself if I got stuck. All it took was once and never again.

Heck even today when I go mudding I only use 2wd, so I can shift into 4wd if I get stuck, hasn't happened yet but it's there is I need it.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.