Quote:

Quote:

Just a couple of things I’d like to add. If you’re planning on driving the car hard(and why have a 4spd RR if you're not) I personally would not recommend it with the aluminium case 833OD. Besides the bearing problems I’ve had a couple of those with cracked cases over the years and am not real impressed with their durability.

Depending on the gear ratio of you RR you may not be real happy with the gear split between 2nd and 3rd gear. It’s pretty noticeable if you running something like 3.23 but not too bad with say 4.10s.

There are some cast iron case A833 ODs out there in both long and short tail shaft versions (the short tail shaft version places the shifter somewhere in between the shifter location of the 2 positions on the long tail shaft version). All the cast iron case units I’ve come across have also had the larger output shaft rather than the smaller one used in the aluminium case versions.

I’m not sure what the factory application of the cast case OD trannys were as the ones I’ve had were pull outs when I got them but I suspect they came from trucks.

FWIW, my '76 duster, build date 11/75 has a cast iron OD, and I bought it from the original owner with 50k miles on it. I think the cast iron vs. aluminum might be an age thing more than an application thing...

love it behind my slanty with 25" tires (205/70R14) and 3.23's, it would be a ball with a moderate built 318 or 360 (say something with a dual plane, headers, ~9:1 compression and a [Email]218@.050[/Email] cam)....gear spread never bothered me.

Definitely an age thing , the first OD 833's were in A bodies and they were cast iron case , I think when the feather duster and dart lite came out , 76 ??? , they went to an alum case to save weight for fuel economy.