Quote:

That RR has a 70 style pistol grip console shifter handle with the wrong shifter boot for a console car if you look close it even looks torn or ripped .
To answer the op's questions the 70 pistol grip was a one year only option i think , but the verion with the console is more rare .
you have to have the correct mechinizim and rods and levers so that when shifting into third gear your hand would not hit the dash .
I have done the conversion to my 69 charger because i liked the console look with the pistol grip . this was a very expensive conversion going fron a auto on the column car but it looks sweet when done .
If i had to due it over because you have to weld the floor hump any ways and the cost of parts i would try and do a 71 and up stlye to get the shorter throw and cheeper 71 and up console , just need to change the tail shaft on the trans to fit the 71 and up style .

The whole bangin' hand into dash when shifting to 3rd was one of my concerns, and wasn't sure it was true. I kept hearing yes / no , as seen in this post.

Mike, thanks for posting the pics, yes you are correct in what I am looking to do .

So a repro Tremec console pistol grip shifter will do the trick?
Would I have the issue of bangin' the dash into 3rd?
Or will it warrant having to change shifting rods etc... as replied above?