Quote:

Quote:

Was that a test of my alignment knowledge

No just your thoughts about the heavier vehicals. Im sure your alignment knowledge is fine.

Im helping refurbish a "Complete Overhaul" on a Cement truck chassis to a oil/swab rig conversion that was converted by a Texas company over 30 years ago.

My job was the electrical, but was asked about the front end toe alignment. The owner stated that the front caster and camber were fixed. But asked if I knew how to set the toe on such a custom rig.

My thoughts were on a heavy vehical like this maybe a little extra toe in would be better.

The owner pointed the tires forward and bolted up the tierods.

The tires are 48" tall and the max speed of the vehical is around 55 MPH+

IMO, after the initial adjustment Road manners may dictate the final adjustment. mike

Heavy truck suspension *is* my forte...I assume this is a straight-axle rig, no front wheel drive? Camber is built into the axle, but caster is adjusted with wedge shims between the spring and axle. With 48" tall tires, you're going to like a bunch of caster, 7-10*. Set toe last, and set to the minimum of spec-the more caster you have, the farther up from horizontal the closest points on the tires so less measured toe.
Honestly on something that big and slow, your toe can be all over the place and you may not notice. I'd spec the axle, or just go 1/8" and watch the tires over time.

Why do I torture myself so?