Good thing my motor isn't done yet.

Since I had a little more time to get the car ready, and there was no motor in it when I bought it, I decided to take everything out from under the hood to repaint it under there.

As it turns out, the wiring harness that had been "all straightened out" by the previous owner is a serious "rig!"

For example: there is a wire spliced into the hot wire for the neutral safety switch. It goes from there, through a hole in the firewall to the wiper switch, and back through the firewall to the wiper motor. I'm guessing the factory wiper wiring was toast.

Also (see pics) the bulkhead connection for the ammeter wire looks melted, and the wire terminal was replaced with a GM style terminal. The wire with the GM terminal was about 4 inches long, stripped down about 1-1/2 inches and wrapped around the Mopar wire...with no tape or anything! Both wires are green with corrosion, and the insulation has been hardened by heat to the point that it cracks off in chunks. A disaster ready to happen!

[image][/image]
[image][/image]
[image][/image]

There are no less than three flasher units under the dash. I always thought there would be one, possibly two with one for the turn signals and one for the four-ways..but three?

All in all, the entire under-dash harness apears to be a hacked up mess, as well as much of the under-hood harness, and the bulkhead connector is junk.

I guess I should be glad I found it now, with the motor out and everything a little more accessable, but it's pretty dissapointing.

I'm taking sugestions for the best wiring sources; I know there's Painless, Year One, etc. Who's the best?