Quote:

Quote:

I know they had a lot of trouble with the dodge truck trans (overdrive). I am looking to buy a truck what year did they get better - if ever?

I am mostly looking at stuff before 2000

From a dodge/GM service tech.

There never was really anything wrong with the 518 through the 48RFE. The customers just didnt want to pop them out of OD. Yes the earlie trannies had less fluid flow to the overdrive unit, but not starving it. My dads 97 Dodge 1 ton van had 285000 miles on it, he is in the floor covering business, he bought the Van with 14000 on it and when the tranny did chuck out he got it burried in a snow drift, and rocked it to sleep. So I rebuilt that tranny and the van has well over 350000 on it now and still rockin.

My 91 Dodge Cimmins has the non lock up 618 overdrive in it, and its te origional tranny at 198000 miles. It still shifting GREAT, and when I serviced it it was blood red with minimal debris in the pan. It is going to need a Kit when I get done wakeing up the Cummins, but its still fine in stock form.

I really think the whole Dodge = Crappo overdrive trannies is an overblown myth.

Kasey

My 94 Cummins used to kick itself out of O/D at 70 mph in cruise whenever it felt like it, scared the crap outta me a few times, like being slammed from behind, then the torque converter used to lock and uplock and essentially 'hunt' between 1800 and 2000 rpm while driving at 70. I unloaded it for an 01 6 speed HO stick and never looked back.
Any truck, IMO, that will see some real work, should have a stick, period...flame on...