Quote:

Everyone has mentioned valve float and after you have experienced it you will look at ways of limiting it.For me I ran a stock 340,with j heads,isky springs and 653 Mopar solid cam to 7k(tacho works fine) with no float(engine did have a few extra mods but stock bottom end)What killed the engine was partly detonation and mostly bearing failure,ie stock sump trying to supply the engine oiling requirement at those revs.If you want to rev the 340 and make it live you will need to look at some aftermarket parts and go into block/valve train prep.

Add some good springs and a deep pan to rev one higher than 6500. When I was younger and stupid I used to top end race on the highway. scatted 2 of them .

The stock pan doesn't hold enough oil for sustained high rpm. If you add a high volume oil pump its even worse.

The stock short block on a steel crank 340 is good for atleast 8000 rpm. The limiting factor is the heads. I agree the stock 340 is pretty much done at 6k

A buddy has restored (stock looking)340 70 swinger with some mild porting and a bit more cam it will pull till 6500.

The extra rpm a 340 is good for comes in handy for missed shifts with a 4 gear!

Sandy in Nova Scotia formerly drdodge340
68 coronet wagon, 68 formula s 340 fb barracuda-69 super bee-72 aussie charger-72 aussie vh dodge ute
-76 feather duster-76 duster-77 street van
- 98 ram 1500 SS/T-99 ram 1500-13 ram red express truck- 2015 hellcat challenger