Quote:

Quote:

I suspect, even though it may be impossible to measure that the crank may not be travelling at a constant speed in one revolution as the piston speed changes four times every revolution. everybody agree?

You have the counterweights on the crank doing their part to maintain inertia. The piston may be changing speed as it changes direction but the crank is still rotating in the same direction. With the additional weight of a flywheel on the end of a crank I'd have to disagree and say the speed would be constant.

If your theory were true then it would be a miracle that single cylinder 4 stroke motors run at all.

Sorry, it's a fact. (I'm an ASE Master Heavy Truck tech, and worked the past 3 years for Navistar Defense) It's true, modern diesels (and likely some modern gas engines) can detect misfire through time change in the crank sensor.

And yes, if you remove enough counterweight from a single cylinder engine, it stalls more easily and requires a higher idle RPM. Have a look at model airplane engines, the old COX .049 has no flywheel or counterweight at all.

Why do I torture myself so?