Quote:

DOHC or SOHC? Any codes? Pull the plug and find TDC on #1 and check the mark(s) on the cam gear(s) to see if it's off a tooth. Could be a bad injector, $5 at u-pull. I'd check the codes first.

SOHC, 2.0. No check engine light, and that bothers me to because if it was a mis-fire shouldn't that make the light turn on? I tried the key on-off thing but don't think I did it right, nothing happened anyway. Dumb question but I haven't messed with cars much since my Road Runner got done a few years ago so I'm rusty and I haven't messed with these small motors much in general. At TDC where should the cam gear mark be? At 0? To see it I'm guessing you have to take the belt shroud off right? Maybe it is an injector. While looking at my brothers car I also pulled the plug wires on it while it was running and the spark pattern looked about the same as on my car, if that even means much. Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree thinking it's electrical. I read somewhere that to check an injector you can put a piece of rubber tubbing against it and you should be able to hear it clicking open and closed if it's working. Is this a valid method of testing them? My folks have a neighbor who has worked on a couple of Neons so maybe I'll bother him this weekend and see what he thinks. Thanks for all the help and keep any ideas I can test this weekend coming please!

Also, does anyone know if there is a pump or something under the passenger side seat. I haven't crawled under it yet but when I turn the key on something hums and then makes noise while the car is running. Almost sounds like a pump but I'm sure the fuel pump would be back by the fuel tank wouldn't it? I guess I'm presuming it's from under the car and not under the seat, sounds too muffled to be from under the seat I think.