I ran one for 10 years, replacing it with an rpm when the rpm heads went on.

Originally, the performer went on a 8.8:1 motor with factory exhaust manifolds, that I previously used to beat at the track on mopar day track events. I had a comp cam .501 292 and a SD intake on it back then. Later I switched to a mp 509 292, which was more impressive but peaky power without headers and a full walker exhaust.

I bought an old digger and was racing that, so I tuned down the driver by changing to the mp .474 280 and the performer intake.

I drove it to Grand Bend and entered it on Mopar day. The difference in traction with street tires was extrememely obvious. I blew the tires off the car in every gear, at every gear change. Traction was easier with the other combination of "bad" parts.

I pulled the 4.10 gear and replaced it with a 3.23. The car was a joy to drive, but like others say: runs out of breath at about 5,000 rpm (at least with my combo at the time). The car ran 14 flat or so with great consistancy. It didn't matter, it was just a tire shredding driver. The power likely dropped 50 hp from peak, but torque in the useable driving range was impressive. I know this is useless if you can't hook it up. Getting up on the factory high stall could shred tires for 2 full parking lots at the Chrysler plant I worked at at the time (Pillette Road Truck Assembly).

A stock intake may have made a little more hp and had a higher peak rpm, but that performer made impressive torque till about 4,000 rpm.

Just for the record, switching to rpm heads, rpm intake, tti headers, and mandatory DOTs gave that shortblock almost 2 full seconds of ET reduction.

Last edited by racealittle; 12/01/10 11:53 AM.