Quote:

i hate to be the bearer of bad news but some of you guys are probably never going to get your sending units to work.

The reason is because many of the reproduction sending units were not built right. Their resistance range from empty to full was not correct. A proper guage should be 10 ohms at full and 73 ohms at empty. you will most likely find yours to a different range. I cant remember what the bad units had for a range but it was something like 0 to 100. that means at 1/4 empty, you will read empty and at full, you'll read 3/4 full

theres no way to fix this as far as i know other than to change out the resistor element to the correct one.

this is a KNOWN problem with reproductions (at least some of them)

I just bought a 3/8 unit from Mancini a few weeks ago and am having the same troubles. First I didn't check it for binding before putting it in as my gauge would only go to E. So I took it out and checked it and bent it a slight bit just to keep it from hitting the pickup tube. Put it back in and still after putting 5 gallons in it barely reads above E. I ohm'd it out before putting it in but didn't check it against the original (rusty, rusty) unit. I just wanted to verify the full range worked and it did. Can't remember what the readings were but obviously not right. Even as rusty as my original unit is (sat since 1979) it reads 9 ohms full and 63 ohms empty. So I guess that's what my gauge is calibrated for.

Gonna pull this new one back out once again and check it. If I can't get it to work then it's off to the beadblaster to get the original cleaned up and have a 3/8 line put in place of the 5/16. Probably would be okay with the 5/16 though as I won't be over 500hp.