Many many years ago (1977) when I worked pumping gas, I had a guy come in with a Buick Skylark. He had just spent a pile of money on the motor and wasn't happy about how it was running. Since the station mechanic had left for the day I explained to the guy I could look at it but our shop minimum was $20. I put it on the scope (not bad for a kid that just pumps gas) and I noticed the coil wired wrong. I switched the wires and proceeded to check dwell and timing. I set everything and sent the guy on his way.

About an hour later he came back with a car full of his buddies. Now I'm thinking he is coming back for his $20. As they got closer I noticed they were in good spirits. Instead of wanting there money back they gave me a 6 pack and were recounting a few kill stories on the freeway.

I doubt the miswire will cause any damage. The effect is that your coil won't put out the voltage that it should. Your plugs will probably still get enough to fire so the car will run. If you have had set the timing with it wired wrong you should recheck everything after the correction.