Quote:

Quote:

edit ...

i never remember seeing one like that , is the hole it goes in on the inner fender got double flats or a flat instead of a round hole ?

otherwise you use a wrench on the 2 machined flats to hold it while tightening it .

Here's the hole in the bracket through which the threaded shaft of the ball stud passes and is retained on the outside by the nut:

And a view from inside the engine compartment, with the bracket sitting in postion on top of the framerail:

Here's the pic of the original ball stud in the '76 Duster before I removed it:

The flats do keep the ball stud from rotating and I supect they were added because ball studs tend to freeze in place after many years. I removed the ball stud above with a socket and ratchet from inside the fender well, even though it is clearly very rusty. Seems like good engineering to me.

Maybe in '76 they used the F-body style stud on A-bodies, since they were at the end of their lifespan.

what year is this car you are working on ?

the one you got out of the 76 a body , i'll bet that hole is round and not square looking like the one in your first pic ?

i can't remember seeing a hole like that in an 67 or newer a body , the ball stud is in my 69 so i can't confirm that .

but as stated you can make the flats on real easy