Quote:

that was very interesting indeed

you did a super job of figuring it out and posted more than one solution to the problem

I bet thats why they sold it,it no worky

I like to think I would have figured this out on my own, but it was late, I was tired and frustrated and wasn't in the mood to tear down the primary bowl and metering block again that night (as one of the bolt holes stripped - will have to helicoil down the road; for now, there's a slightly longer bolt installed which is holding). So, I took pics and posted it up. Once I took it back apart the next day, it was pretty obvious.

The PO told me he bought the carb with the Proform block installed and had "no problems" with the carb. After seeing the Holley metering block gasket with the impressions from a stock/standard block in it, either the problem existed the whole time and he somehow never saw it (don't believe that considering how much fuel was leaking out - it took me only a short amount of time to see that there was an issue... lots of fuel leaking to include pooling in the combustion chambers), or (here comes my benefit of the doubt piece) when the PO was reinstalling the stock jets, the metering block gasket was damaged and a used Holley gasket was slapped on. I find it REALLY hard to believe that the PO had no issues if this problem existed during his ownership.

I will say that I got the carb for a real good price, so it wouldn't surprise me if he knew of the problem and didn't have the heart to sell it for market value.

After fixing this issue, the carb is working really well (in comparison to the Carter I pulled off). I hope to have some fun Wednesday night!