Quote:

Thanks alot Robert. I understand.

I do have a new OE black box VR (not electronic but mechanical) that I bought probably two years ago. I could replace the flat solid state late model one I currently have installed, but then now I'm thinking that I'll still be stuck with the lower amp output of the period alternator, correct?

So, it seems to make sense to me to get a late model 2 FLD terminal alternator and make the wiring mod per the tech archive.

I see that an '85 Diplomat or equivalent alternator is suggested. Would it just drop in place of the current one I have, using the existing small block brakets, and is there anything else I should consider or upgrade due the higher current output, i.e. the ammeter bypass?

The later "squareback" alternator should bolt right in with your current brackets. Output will likley be 78 amps... too much for the OE charge wire, bulkhead connector and ammeter. The bulkhead connector is the weakest link.

You have lots of choices. Easiest is to use the alternator you have with a replacement single field voltage regualtor. Another choice is to get a 50 amp dual field round back alternator since it looks like you are wired up for dual field. If you get an alternator for a '70 Challenger you should get the 50 A dual field. Parts store rebuilt alternator quality has been low so I'd order a Powermaster rebuilt from Mancini, Boucillon or Summit.

If you need more amps and want to upgrade to the 78 A squareback, I'd suggest you use one of the strategies to at least bypass the bulkhead connector with the charging current. There are a number of ways to do this with lots of posts already.