Quote:

OK here is what I have so far:
A '94-'02 5.9 liter engine from a truck and a late '80s-'92 A518 tranny.

Sounds like a good combo. Get yourself the hi-stall converter MP sells for the 518 trans, it's around 2500 stall IIRC. Put in 4.10 gears. With the overdrive trans, a 4.10 rear end will be like a 2.87 rear on a 727/904 equiped car.

Rebuild the transmission and put in a transgo TFOD-HD2 shift kit. If desired, Cope Racing Trans can build you a custom governor for that transmission so at full throttle it shifts at the RPM you want. The transgo shift kit will also come with some instructions on how to do an upgrade to the oiling holes to the overdrive unit.

Take your 92+ magnum 360, have the roller cam reground, add headers, new valve springs(I know gm 3100 valve springs used to be the ticket for magnum heads, not sure what the deal on those is these days). Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake will bolt right up to the magnum heads. Pick up a distributor and curve the advance for your application. If the 360 puts out good compression on the compression and leakdown test I would leave it. If not I would hone the cylinders with the drill mounted flex hone and throw on some hastings brand cast piston rings. That combo should run well and likely be in the 325-350hp range depending on how far you go with the cam. And yes the 518 will fit under your floor/torsion bar crossmember if you do some grinding on the transmission. Also you will need to make a new transmission crossmember from scratch because the mounting location is in a different spot on the 518. And you will need to have your driveshaft shortened.