Hello all,

I'm trying to convert my '71 Charger SE from manual drum brakes to manual disc brakes. My dad, who owns a '71 R/T that had power disc brakes gave me the rotors, calipers, spindles, upper ball joints, and upper control arms all in an intact unit. The unit has new upper ball joints but not upper control arm bushings. I replaced the upper control arm bushings, properly seating them until the shoulder seated against the control arm. When I got ready to install the upper control arm, I noticed that it was too narrow. After some measurements, I realized that the control arms off the R/T are 1/4 inch more narrow than the control arms off my S/E. I'm certain that the control arms on the S/E are original, but I dont know where the ones from the R/T came from before they were on dad's car.

1) Is this to be expected? I was under the impression that they would be exactly the same, am I wrong?

2) Are the control arms from the R/T from a different car? I noticed that the bushings from the R/T weren't seated all the way when I pulled them off, which would allow them to fit in a '71 Charger mount.

3) If I push the bushings out just a tad to allow the control arm to fit in (like 1/8 of an inch on each side) will that cause serious issues.

Thanks,

NASCAR_Imperial

1971 Dodge Charger SE 470/727/3.91 Suregrip
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat, 6-speed
1980 Pontiac Trans Am, Y84, WS6
2002 Ram 2500 Cummins/6-speed/2WD/QC
1971 Ford F-350 Ranger