To All,

I have seen some posts here on running electrical fuel pumps as a "booster" for your mechanical pump, so I thought I might add my little recent experience...

The car is my 1971 Charger R/T 440 Magnum. I was having a little fuel delivery problem (when cold or high RPM WOT), and had an idea.

Basically, I mounted a small Carter cylindrical electric fuel pump (P74029)where the steel line from the tank ends in the right front fenderwell area.

Being a "Wiley E. Coyote" type , a mounted an inline fuel filter right before the pump, and wired the power feed off the ignition wire. The wire went through a JEG's low oil pressure (5PSI) switch, and a Snow Performance vacuum switch which energizes at 5 inches or less of vacuum. This means the engine has to be running and near WOT for the pump to come on.

Finally, I ran a green LED light to the instrument panel, along with a toggle switch. The light comes on when the pump comes on, and you can use the toggle to fill the carb bowl on cold starts, or when the car hasn't been driven much.

Immensely proud of myself , and enjoying plenty of gas at WOT, I decided to take the Charger on a 200 mile trip yesterday. When the wife and I arrived at our destination, I noted that the mechanical fuel pump was leaking quite a bit. The pump is ten years old, so those things happen. I simply bypassed the mechanical pump, and kept the electrical pump on full time.

The thing did not last the day, and gave out on us during the trip home. Due to the risk of fire from the leaky mechanical , I had one brought out from my stash at home and replaced it road side. Made for a long night; luckily my wife is a real hand and was very helpful during the ordeal. Guess that is why we are celebrating our 25th next March.

Now, has anyone heard of electrical pumps going out so fast? I know I had it mounted in a less than perfect position, but I know of guys who have run pumps in this manner for years day in and day out. The pump was mounted at least six inches from the headers, so I don't think excessive heat is the case.

Are Carters of this type having issues, or did I just get a bad one? Also, does anyone have other recommendations?

May God bless America,

Paladin

Last edited by Paladin; 07/28/10 02:31 PM.

1971 Dodge Charger R/T
1977 Chrysler Cordoba A35
1979 Dodge Lil� Red Express
1981 Chevrolet Corvette
1985 Chevrolet Corvette
1986 Chevrolet Corvette Roadster
1994 Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Sport V10