Quote:

The new MP paint is a TON better than the old stuff due to the vender they are getting it from changed. There are three colors of Hemi orange, Street, Race and Resto. Race is for Race hemis and max wedges only(originaly) and the street was for all of the 383, 340,440 and Hemi engines that were orange. The old venders street hemi orange was off just a little so they created resto hemi orange which is supposed to be a little closer shade to the original.

The Resto Hemi Orange is close enough to the original shade to make 99% of those wanting thier engines to look "stock" happy. I matched some up with a very low mile 1970 vintage Street Hemi and the color was exceptionally close for something out of a rattle can. For the final 1 percenter's there are other options to consider like custom matched blends or those offered by well known OE products vendors like Roger Gibson.

Another thing not mentioned is other engines that got Race Hemi Orange paint from the factory. Many Street Hemi engines were sprayed with RHO. Every original "survivor" 1966-1967 Street Hemi's I've seen were originally painted Race Hemi Orange from the factory, and I've seen many 68's that were as well. I'm not saying they all were supposed to be RHO, but based on my observations the good majority were. I think there is allot to be learned on the early Street Hemi's before we call any "absalutes" as far as early Street Hemi engine shade/color correctness goes.